OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New guy with calling question..

Started by Kz900Jim, February 22, 2019, 09:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

I agree with everyone. I would say first learn to yelp with varying volumes and lengths. I also agree cadence is important. If all you can do is yelp effectively you will kill turkeys. Second I would say learn to cluck.  Clucks are a large part of turkey language and can mean many things. A hard sharp cluck can be a challenge or a locator. You'll hear gobblers do it when they get close and want the hen to show herself or they will do it to another gobbler as a warning. Purrs are the same way. If you hang around feeding flocks you will hear a lot of soft almost unhearable purring. It's a content call that also keeps the flock together.  On the other hand it also says I am pissed and someone is getting their arse kicked when delivered hard and fast. In the spring woods think faster. If you've listened to flocks through the fall and winter they communicate differently. In the spring hens pick it up a notch and calling is more emphatic. However as season goes on the language slows down and returns to the off season slower and softer calling, so start your season hitting that box hard and slower and softer as season ends.

guesswho

Some of the deadliest calls aren't even made by a call.   I've seen birds unintentionally called in with no call.  Best advise I have is don't worry about trying to sound like a competition caller unless you plan on calling competitively.   As stated before, simplicity in calling is more than enough to kill birds.   Good luck and have fun. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

I will agree that you do not have to sound like a competition caller to kill birds. I am living proof of that. However I don't see that as an excuse to not practice and become as proficient as you can with several calls. Practice and gain some confidence, even call to some birds that can't be hunted if you have any spots like that. "Live" practice can go a long ways to making you a proficient caller and hunter. All my boys have been drug out behind my house to call in gobblers that I have never hunted. I have permission but I just like hearing them all spring. It's great training.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

EZ

Quote from: SteelerFan on February 24, 2019, 05:50:27 PM
https://youtu.be/htsEZa3iLgA

Scroll through the series... Jason Cruise does a pretty good job of explaining calls and turkey language. He's got some for the box call, too.

https://youtu.be/TlbDES4Zdy4

There's no doubt Jason is a good turkey hunter, but he really lost me with his "cluck and purr" no good narrative. Turkeys cluck and purr together ALL the time. They do it when feeding contently, which is generally what you as a hunter are using to calm the gobbler and coax him the last few yards.

roberthyman14

Yelp to get his attention. After that. Purr and scratch the leaves.  Be very careful with the cluck. One slip of the tongue and you go from cluck, to puck to, #uck.  And just made a danger call.  Yelp and purr are your best.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk