turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which brand???

Started by BINK McCARTY, February 15, 2019, 04:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BINK McCARTY

As a whole (or close to it) which brand of shotgun do ya'll think patterns best, and why ?

Spurs Up

Like beauty, best is in the eye of the beholder. I've observed some of the most consistently dense patterns from Mossbergs, especially the overbored 12's. But their POI can be different from load to load and, especially, shot type to shot type. Longer barreled Benellis can be dense, even and relatively consistent among loads. Just one opinion...

dirt road ninja

With the ammo around today, they will all shoot. That said, I would be cautious betting against an 835/935. Lots of space for the pellets to be happy in. The ammo makes the gun, not the other way around. If you're  looking for a new gun, don't buy based on what you think is going to shoot the tightest pattern. Buy what you like and wouldn't mind getting a little beat up. You'll get it to shoot with little effort.

Bowguy

I agree w the 835/935 thought but if you think asking will yield a consistant correct answer you'd be way off. Way too many variables. Chokes, loads, size, type shot, barrel length, etc etc etc. than as stated already the Mossberg barrel is on a 12 ga but is a 10 ga. Too many variables and to be honest any gun when tinkered with will work. That's half the fun anyway

Gobble!

TSS seems to be the great equalizer but I remember seeing some wicked patterns from 835s shooting lead and hevi-shot.

deerpoo22

They all pattern good. I'd look at what fits you best and what you'd want to spend

drakehammer

Ammo, choke, chamber length, bore and barrel geometry all contribute to your patterns.  Even temperature has an impact. Any generalizations are pretty much meaningless without a lot of qualifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

With an optic to dial in POA and POI, with most any load, most any gun will work, IMO

bbcoach

IMO and after looking at many patterns from lead to Hevi and even TSS, you would be hard pressed to find better numbers than what the overbored Mossy 835 and 935's put up.  The Mossberg's shoot most shells really well and there are plenty of chokes to choose from.  Check some of the Mossberg pattern pics and you can get 200 plus with lead, 300 plus with Hevi 7's in 10 and the TSS will give you 700 plus in 20 with a 3 1/2" 12.  Tough to beat those numbers.

lowoctane

There is excellent information here gleaned from time and money spent on our passion called "Turkey Hunting"!IMHO, it boils down to what we as hunters want to or can spend chasing our passion. That's what this awesome site can bring into a decision making process such as yours. All the time and money that we as turkey hunters spend and experience is shared openly here on Old Gobbler by fellow hunters that truly love the wild turkey experience! Be safe and immerse yourself into this great chase! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Kytomgetter

gobblers roost

Okd mossburgs jmo

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk