turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DSD Question

Started by minnangler, February 20, 2019, 09:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minnangler

Ok so I have decided to upgrade my foam decoys to DSDs.   They are expensive and want to purchase one a year.  What would be your first pick of a DSD to start with this year?

MK M GOBL

If you are starting with just one I'd go Upright Hen, a 3/4 Strut Jake would be next. From there there's a lot that goes into your hunting style that determine sets/decoys.

I have a thread on DSD's and how to hunt decoys "right", take a read and if you have any questions just let me know.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

MK M GOBL

turkeymanjim

X2

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hush

Look at the upright hen. It was my first. Great all season decoy.

minnangler

Thanks for the responses so far.   Most hunts are setting up along open agriculture  field edges for early morning set ups with decoys. Then it's putting lots of miles of walking trying to fire up a gobbler later in the morning.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: minnangler on February 20, 2019, 09:24:47 PM
Thanks for the responses so far.   Most hunts are setting up along open agriculture  field edges for early morning set ups with decoys. Then it's putting lots of miles of walking trying to fire up a gobbler later in the morning.

Bow? Shotgun?

Will you be using your other decoys as well? If you have "hens" you could go 3/4 Strut Jake first and use your other hens. 90%+ of the time when the Jake is set, the bird goes right to him. But I do have Dominant Toms that will go right by the Jake to Hen, just need to make sure she is set in kill zone. I set dominant decoy at 15 yards.

MK M GOBL

fallhnt

Hen

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

valerio024

Personally I'd go with the 3/4 Strut Jake. The responses I've had to it are so impressive. Gobblers covering hundreds of yards to clock him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudhen

Leading hen...no doubt...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Bowguy

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 20, 2019, 09:07:07 PM
If you are starting with just one I'd go Upright Hen, a 3/4 Strut Jake would be next. From there there's a lot that goes into you hunting style that determine sets.

I have a thread on DSD's and how to hunt decoys "right", take a read and if you have any questions just let me know.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

MK M GOBL
Good advice

MK M GOBL

Other thing that you can do with Upright Hen is "Short Stake" her to a "Breeding Hen" I did this early on before I acquired more of the DSD's.  Made my stakes from old arrows, easy to do by just cutting to length (fletch end) and then install another insert and I put a Allen head bolt in that end.

MK M GOBL

Gobble!

stinkpickle

I would start with a 3/4 strut jake.  You shouldn't even need a hen. 

Old Gobbler

Get the upright hen first....

The Jake second
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Dtrkyman

3/4 Jake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk