OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

land already been shot on

Started by mdgobbler, April 27, 2011, 09:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdgobbler

pretty new to turkey hunting. i just got permission to hut on a piece of land that one bird has been shot off of. is there a chance that those birds will be back to that same field or should i try somewhere else on the property? also any tips on hunting high wind days?
-mdgobbler-

YoungJake

Dont take my advice to seriously as im also just a beginner but my GUESS is that if the birds were actually right there when the shot happened that they were probably bumped, but i dont know. And what I know about hunting is the wind is that you need to CALL LOUDLY or the birds upwind will not hear you very well.

TauntoHawk

turkeys come back pretty quick, if I can I give the place a days rest if a shot has been fired or the birds were busted hard. many on here will have experiences where turkeys were back to normal the same day or within 24hrs.

Ive just found some time off helps, if its been a couple of days and there were multiple birds using the field you bet your behind id be in there hunting.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

stinkpickle

Don't worry about the shot.  I've called birds back into an area within hours of missing them.  If they like the area, they'll use it.  High wind, on the other hand, is a pain.  Check out of the fields, and move slowly.  Try to find a place out of the wind the best you can.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 27, 2011, 11:38:46 PM
Don't worry about the shot.  I've called birds back into an area within hours of missing them.  If they like the area, they'll use it.  High wind, on the other hand, is a pain.  Check out of the fields, and move slowly.  Try to find a place out of the wind the best you can.

:agreed:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

bowhunter84

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 27, 2011, 11:38:46 PM
:agreed: :icon_thumright:

mmusso

It doesn't matter, just go hunt... :anim_25:

Ky strutt n bust n

i agree. go after them! i'd try down in between two ridges. it blocks the winds and i've seen and called up many turkeys in gulleys. also have had some what good luck with fields.

doepee

I would be out there huntin, especially if you have a pretty good parcel of land,, who says that they were the only birds there, and Also I have deer hunted and turkeys have been in the field when I have shot a deer. The birds were back out there the next day..

Ky strutt n bust n

Quote from: doepee on April 28, 2011, 09:28:51 PM
I would be out there huntin, especially if you have a pretty good parcel of land,, who says that they were the only birds there, and Also I have deer hunted and turkeys have been in the field when I have shot a deer. The birds were back out there the next day..
:agreed: i have shot a deer and the turkeys not be bothered at all. they heard the booom and just kept on clucking n purring doing their thing. i was amazed to see that too. but also nobody has ever stepped on this property and hunted before either. so that could have played a factor. 10 acres aint a lot but it was untouched and full of wildlife