OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First pots of the season!

Started by Sx4, February 09, 2019, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sx4

As waterfowl season ends it abruptly switches to turkey pot call buying season. I kicked off the season with a few real sweet calls and strikers! It's all made by the turkey call making Wizard John Sinclair!!! Green slate over copper ziricote and bronze glass over copper ziricote. A snakewood and a katalox striker to compliment the pots just right! If you have not tried ziricote or these surface and soundboard combos they sound like a live turkey! The snakewood strikers just play and play and are a great value at 60$! I enjoy seeing new calls and hearing about off the wall woods/surfaces and soundboards so post up a unique combo you have that sounds like a live turkey maybe it will help me in my next call purchase!

outdoors

He makes some really sharp looking & Turkey SOUNDING calls
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sx4

I know "Outdoors" is a pot call addict like myself and I am sure we compete for some of the nicer pots now and again. Thanks sir-diealot... For the record I shoot Federal ammo and not hevi shot. I have tried different brands of pot calls and I have heard soundfiles of others that I think sound great. To each their own.. I like pot calls that have good figure, no tear out, nice finish, no waiting list, quick turn around, a call maker that communicates well with the customer, variety of exotic woods, endless variety of surface and sound board combos, live turkey sound and all at a fair price. I could buy 5-20 pots a year if they meet my stringent requirements.. lol

SteelerFan

Congrats on a nice pair of calls. John puts out good stuff.

Sir-diealot

Nothing wrong with it that I can see. Just picked up this Mexican Bocote wood pot & Titanium Surface, my first from John, sounds great and I love the wood.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sx4

Soincallcollector- Thanks for the positive response! I have a good variety of different calls from John but have a few favorites I can recommend(actually these two on this post are a couple really great sounding calls). Also if you ever wanted to hear a certain combo just ask I may have it and I can shoot you a soundbite! From deer hunting, elk hunting, waterfowl hunting and turkey hunting I always like to share the products I know work!

outdoors

I ordered his newest pot  , going to receive it MONDAY
Looking forward to getting it , it's a bocote  glass  / copper
It's a 3 1/4" call not a  3 1/2"

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Sx4

Quote from: outdoors on February 10, 2019, 01:56:21 AM
I ordered his newest pot  , going to receive it MONDAY
Looking forward to getting it , it's a bocote  glass  / copper
It's a 3 1/4" call not a  3 1/2"

I have the same combo coming in on Monday also. Mine is going to be in a Ziricote pot. Ziricote has quickly become one of my favorite woods in a pot call.. It is like purple heart but hooked to an amplifier. These two woods aren't as flashy as some species but the sound they produce is hard to beat. :happy0064:

yelpaholic

What would be his , you gotta have one of those , call be ?? Just curious ? .

Sx4

I used exclusively a crystal over brass in a purple heart pot last year and it cut through the mountains and had the turkeys running from what seemed like miles away...

My top calls right now besides that are
Claro Walnut green slate over glass
Osage bronze glass over copper
Ziricote green slate over copper
Ziricote crystal over Brass
Ziricote bronze glass over copper

Out of all of that I think I would recommend a ziricote green slate over copper... Super easy to condition and just plays and plays with good rasp and volume it's just very life like. :turkey2:

I would put any of those combos in a purple heart pot too and be happy in the woods. Purple heart and Ziricote are my favorite pot woods.

Few other honorable mentions are
Cocobolo 3.25 titanium over slate
Cocobolo aluminum over slate
Osage aluminum over slate

It's really hard to just choose one cause they are just good!

outdoors

Our birds  * especially * where I hunt are really hard to bring In  about the Last 50yd they get QUITE in the open hang up

I received a new call from John that's a gaboon  glass / copper THAT PLAYS SOFT AND LOUD WHEN YOU PLAY IT LOUD IT GETS REALLY RASPY  WITH A STRONG BREAK AT THE end of THE ROLLOVER. I STRONGLY FEAL THIS CALL IS GOING TO bring  FOOD IN THE FRYER 

SoIncallcollector

Well when I said near future I didnt think it would be 12 hours later but just lucked out and got this off of classifieds page. Eager to play it. Looks great.
Sx4- I appreciate that. I will definitely be sure to PM you for some sound files in the future.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JLH

Quote from: SoIncallcollector on February 10, 2019, 02:42:54 PM
Well when I said near future I didnt think it would be 12 hours later but just lucked out and got this off of classifieds page. Eager to play it. Looks great.
Sx4- I appreciate that. I will definitely be sure to PM you for some sound files in the future.

Condition your playing area with a stone, as you would a glass call.....it will sing like an old hen with a 3 pack a day habit!

you just have to keep the scuff marks going in the same direction...no cross hatching....and it will stay conditioned for a while.

SoIncallcollector

Quote from: JLH on February 10, 2019, 02:51:46 PM
Quote from: SoIncallcollector on February 10, 2019, 02:42:54 PM

Condition your playing area with a stone, as you would a glass call.....it will sing like an old hen with a 3 pack a day habit!

you just have to keep the scuff marks going in the same direction...no cross hatching....and it will stay conditioned for a while.
Thanks for that tip JLH. I was honestly going to text you about that. I have a couple anodized aluminum, but none like that and was curious. Equally excited to get that striker with it. Can you tell if that's the 2 piece ebony?