OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alps outdoorz NWTF turkey vest. Opinions

Started by bchilde, February 08, 2019, 05:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

Quote from: GomerPyle on February 11, 2019, 12:49:37 PM

I just recently got one....I have not yet hunted it, but just trying it on and wearing it around the house, I love it.  I immediately took out the kickstand frame.  In 6yrs of turkey hunting, I can think of exactly 1 time where I wish I'd had it.  Just not worth the weight or awkward fit when it's in.

I've used the frame on 2 hunts in the last 2 seasons. Mostly where I hunt you don't need it. I will say it would be great if you're self filming without a blind of any sort. You can get against fallen trees or up in a spruce tree comfortably leaning back.

tha bugman

I had one, but IMO I hated the frame/kickstand. 

ctwny1

I have one and would highly recommend this vest to anybody Very well made and easy to get to pockets. Check it out for yourself.

J.D. Shellnut

I traded for one Sunday night and immediately took the frame out! Seems nice though. I like the way the seat comes down but I can see the magnets failing. We'll find out April 6 how it does in the woods!!!
60% of the time it works every time!

SD_smith

Quote from: J.D. Shellnut on February 12, 2019, 11:12:42 AM
I traded for one Sunday night and immediately took the frame out! Seems nice though. I like the way the seat comes down but I can see the magnets failing. We'll find out April 6 how it does in the woods!!!
Try the seat mod on it. It's on a thread in here somewhere. Did it on mine and really negates the use of magnets.

sixbird

Quote from: cuttinAR on February 11, 2019, 01:04:07 PM
Quote from: sixbird on February 10, 2019, 04:27:13 PM
I bought one before last Spring season and I have mixed feelings about it.
I LOVE the back rest. I mean, LOVE it!
The seat leaves something to be desired. It seems comfortable at first but a long sit will be painful. I modified mine and now it's like sitting on a cloud.
The pocket situation also leaves something to be desired. The pockets, although there are enough of them, aren't deep enough. I've lost two nice scratchers in the woods due to them falling out of the shallow pockets.
The vest does have enough shell holders and, although people say it's heavy, I don't really think it's heavy enough to matter that much to me.
The weigh distribution is good given the nice shoulder straps.
Nice sized pouch in the back to carry spare jacket, etc.
So, is it perfect? No...Is it a good vest? I'd say yes, in spite of it's drawbacks.
With a seat modification and some safety pins and small pouches to retain calls, I think it's a very serviceable vest. I don't know of a better one on the market at the moment...

How did you modify the seat?

I took it to a taylor and had him put a zipper on the seat cover. I put a small wheelbarrow inner tube in it and added a strong magnet between the existing ones to hold the increased weight of the inner tube. I pulled the original padding apart and used the hardboard to keep briars from poking through the cover. I've used it most of the Spring season and all of the Fall season. It's phenomenal!