OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alps outdoorz NWTF turkey vest. Opinions

Started by bchilde, February 08, 2019, 05:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bchilde

I'm looking at new turkey vests and I ran across this one. Does anyone have one or have any opinions on it.

turkey_slayer

You either love it or don't. It's definitely got a lot of high praise. Mine came earlier today and I sold it to a buddy within a couple hours. He loves it and I didn't like it at all except for the backrest padding and seat. As soon as I took it out I removed the frame cause they don't work here due to the steepness and to lighten it up. Pot call pockets were to small for mine and straps were to thin and short for my liking.

Edit: are you referring to the super elite or Grand slam? I was referring to the Grand slam.

HILBY72

Alps vest is really well made , only down fall to me is the seat. I like the seat design on the Cabelas tactical tater 2. So i am going to modify mine like some members of the forum are currently doing.

coyote1

Super elite or grand slam? I have an elite, haven't tried the grand slam.

hush

Picked up an Alps GS last year after the season ended. Not used it yet, but has more pockets than I need (not a bad thing), like the kickstand (adds a bunch of weight though), and is the most comfortable vest back/seat that I've had.

Gobble!

Use to buy a new vest every year trying to find one I really loved and found that with the Alps GS.

Gobspur

Just got one to run this year.  I have been running a cabelas tt2 for a couple of years and like it, but I wanted one I could put a hydropak in.  So far I really like it.  Pot call pockets are better than tt2, but the other pockets are a tad smaller. Theres 2 dedicated pot pockets, but two other pockets up top that hold a pot well.  I can fit at least 5 strikers.  I'll be doin the speed seat mod Gobble posted about.  Feels and fits good.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Mossyguy

I took the kickstand off mine...other than that I like it.

Gobspur

Quote from: Mossyguy on February 09, 2019, 09:10:24 PM
I took the kickstand off mine...other than that I like it.
Me too, forgot to mention that.  I have no use for kickstand where I hunt.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Boykin Hollow

I have had one for two seasons now and really like it until you start carrying your decoys or a dead turkey in the back pouch and then the magnets that hold the seat in place are of no use at all.  I used the kick stand once but the back legs mired down into the dirt.  I hunt in Ga so I have no problem finding a tree to set up on.  Other than that it has so many compartments that I forget where I put things.  One of my buckles broke and I called them up and had it sent to me within a day or two free of charge, no questions asked.  I probably would buy it again.

turkaholic

I have trouble with a vest that has the seat sticking out like a sheet of plywood. They seem noisy when trying to sneak around. Maybe in a field hunting situation they are nice. Just my 2 cents.
live to hunt hunt to live

sixbird

I bought one before last Spring season and I have mixed feelings about it.
I LOVE the back rest. I mean, LOVE it!
The seat leaves something to be desired. It seems comfortable at first but a long sit will be painful. I modified mine and now it's like sitting on a cloud.
The pocket situation also leaves something to be desired. The pockets, although there are enough of them, aren't deep enough. I've lost two nice scratchers in the woods due to them falling out of the shallow pockets.
The vest does have enough shell holders and, although people say it's heavy, I don't really think it's heavy enough to matter that much to me.
The weigh distribution is good given the nice shoulder straps.
Nice sized pouch in the back to carry spare jacket, etc.
So, is it perfect? No...Is it a good vest? I'd say yes, in spite of it's drawbacks.
With a seat modification and some safety pins and small pouches to retain calls, I think it's a very serviceable vest. I don't know of a better one on the market at the moment...

GomerPyle

I just recently got one....I have not yet hunted it, but just trying it on and wearing it around the house, I love it.  I immediately took out the kickstand frame.  In 6yrs of turkey hunting, I can think of exactly 1 time where I wish I'd had it.  Just not worth the weight or awkward fit when it's in. 
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

cuttinAR

Quote from: sixbird on February 10, 2019, 04:27:13 PM
I bought one before last Spring season and I have mixed feelings about it.
I LOVE the back rest. I mean, LOVE it!
The seat leaves something to be desired. It seems comfortable at first but a long sit will be painful. I modified mine and now it's like sitting on a cloud.
The pocket situation also leaves something to be desired. The pockets, although there are enough of them, aren't deep enough. I've lost two nice scratchers in the woods due to them falling out of the shallow pockets.
The vest does have enough shell holders and, although people say it's heavy, I don't really think it's heavy enough to matter that much to me.
The weigh distribution is good given the nice shoulder straps.
Nice sized pouch in the back to carry spare jacket, etc.
So, is it perfect? No...Is it a good vest? I'd say yes, in spite of it's drawbacks.
With a seat modification and some safety pins and small pouches to retain calls, I think it's a very serviceable vest. I don't know of a better one on the market at the moment...

How did you modify the seat?