Main Menu

best 20 gauge pb loads

Started by Luke95, April 27, 2011, 03:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke95

what are the best lead 20 gauge loads?
Sumtoy Get Choked

Fastcat

I have always had excellent luck with Winchester Supreme High Velocity #5's.  I use it in my 20gauge 870 express; 26" barrel.  This gun wears a hastings non ported choke tube and throws good killing patterns out to 35-40yards.  I have only killed one bird with this gun but it's my go to gun when I'm taking new hunters out into the woods with me.  My mom killed a fantastic gobbler on mothers day several years ago.  It was her first time hunting anything and at 30 yards the bird dropped without a flop.  25 pounds, 1.5 spurs and a 9.75 inch beard.  One of my all time best hunts even though I wasn't behind the gun.

R AJ

Quote from: Fastcat on April 27, 2011, 03:36:34 PM
I have always had excellent luck with Winchester Supreme High Velocity #5's.  I use it in my 20gauge 870 express; 26" barrel.  This gun wears a hastings non ported choke tube and throws good killing patterns out to 35-40yards.  I have only killed one bird with this gun but it's my go to gun when I'm taking new hunters out into the woods with me.  My mom killed a fantastic gobbler on mothers day several years ago.  It was her first time hunting anything and at 30 yards the bird dropped without a flop.  25 pounds, 1.5 spurs and a 9.75 inch beard.  One of my all time best hunts even though I wasn't behind the gun.

What diameter choke is that?

R AJ

I would say that my best shells are in general Winchester and Federal and #5 or #6 shot . There are few who have very excellent patterns using #4 lead shot but I am not one of them.

Fiochhi, Kent, Estate patterns have not been desireable for me beyond 30 yards.

Using lead in a 20 gauge has been limited to 30-35 yards . I may have some info later to extend that somewhat . 20s are much more finicky than 12s about shot size, chokes constriction, velocity and patterning.

dawei

Quote from: Luke95 on April 27, 2011, 03:11:21 PM
what are the best lead 20 gauge loads?
Conventional wisdom states using smaller shot in a 20ga so as to increase pattern density due to lighter payloads. It thus makes the most sense to begin your patterning tests with #6. After that try some loads in #5. I have one 20ga gun however that prefers #4 shot. While I have less shot in the pattern than I would with #5/6 shot; the #4's for some reason produce the most even distribution of pellets. I must admit however, this is true in only one of my three 20ga guns. My other 20ga gun(s) produce the most useful pattern with #5. For Pb shooters, of any gauge, I believe that #5 is the best all around size to use; but that is just me. Having said all this it's all about what patterns the best in your individual gun & choke. For me these Pb loads are proven performers in my gun(s)....................

• Federal® Flitecontrol® Mag-Shok® 3" Mag 1185fps 1 5/16oz #5 ( PFC258F 5)
• Remington® Nitro-Turkey® 3" 1185fps 1¼oz #5 (NT20M5)
• Winchester® Supreme® High Velocity 3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz #4 (STH2034)

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Fastcat

My Hastings 20 gauge choke is a .566 lead shot only.  I don't know if they are made anymore?

surehuntsalot

I love the Federal FC 1-5/15oz #5's when I shoot Pb in my 20ga's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dawei

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 27, 2011, 08:45:21 PMI love the Federal FC 1-5/15oz #5's when I shoot Pb in my 20ga's
Typo? 1 5/16oz right?

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Luke95

IDK if the fc will pattern well through my sumtoy
Sumtoy Get Choked

jakesdad

Ive had good results using the remington premier 3" 1 1/4oz #6 loads using a jellyhead choke.I have some winchester supreme 5's that pattern decent also.would like to experiment with some different chokes this summer and see what i can get.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

surehuntsalot

Quote from: dawei on April 27, 2011, 08:50:11 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 27, 2011, 08:45:21 PMI love the Federal FC 1-5/15oz #5's when I shoot Pb in my 20ga's
Typo? 1 5/16oz right?

yep   a typo

I guess I can't see or spell to well tonight
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

goblr77

Quote from: Luke95 on April 27, 2011, 08:57:54 PM
IDK if the fc will pattern well through my sumtoy

The Fed Hvy FCW will.

IowaNate

I have only tested two loads in my standard full choked 20, the Federal 3" Mag-Shok #5's (pre flight-control wad) and the Remington 3" NitroMag #4's. The Remington's put the same amount of pellets on target (sometimes more) than the Federals at 30 yards, even though the Federals contained approximately 50 more pellets.
Lead shooter for life! Know your gun, know your shell, pattern multiple times, know your effective distance, and practice the calls...and the Pb #4's will put 'em down everytime!

dawei

Quote from: IowaNate on April 28, 2011, 04:30:07 PM
I have only tested two loads in my standard full choked 20, the Federal 3" Mag-Shok #5's (pre flight-control wad) and the Remington 3" NitroMag #4's. The Remington's put the same amount of pellets on target (sometimes more) than the Federals at 30 yards, even though the Federals contained approximately 50 more pellets.
I'm telling you for a few select 20ga guns #4Pb is the bomb! I know this for a fact as I have one of those guns. I smacked the living daylights out of a Merriams Gobbler at 42yds earlier this month. Those large #4Pb pellets really do the job AFAIAC.

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

dawei

Quote from: Fastcat on April 27, 2011, 08:08:59 PM
My Hastings 20 gauge choke is a .566 lead shot only.  I don't know if they are made anymore?
Hastings® went bankrupt in 2009. I have one diameter .570". There are a lot of Hastings® chokes however out there with various distributors/retailers. Just search w/Google®.

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given