turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal 3rd Degree

Started by aclawrence, February 03, 2019, 03:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidd

Shot a few out of the SX2 this morning with a Carlson .575 choke.

Good out to 20-yds and 30-yds could have been me; may explain why I've been missing so many Snipe lately.

Tom Foolery

Pretty much anything looks good at 20 and 30yds. I'm sure you know it but your high left, bigly. 

An example of 30 vs 40. A friend shot a 12 gauge 870 with 3" win hv 5's.  He was well over 200 at 30yds, 220 I think.  He backed up to 40 and never cracked 100.

squidd

High and left, but the paper I had the target taped to told rest of the story, really spread out and didn't even do a pellet count.

I have another box of 3rd degre, but will try Winchester Double X next to see how it patterns.

DBell

Quote from: squidd on February 16, 2019, 08:35:16 PM
High and left, but the paper I had the target taped to told rest of the story, really spread out and didn't even do a pellet count.

I have another box of 3rd degre, but will try Winchester Double X next to see how it patterns.

I shoot a 20 ga 870 with a Rob Roberts final strut .570 and the double x were horrible out of it. Maybe you will have better luck but I didn't even get 100 in 10" at 20 Yards.. Try the federal grand slams that are new and improved from last year. It's 35-38 yard shell w/ the .570, and #5 lead to boot. Same price as double x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Foolery

Quote from: DBell on February 16, 2019, 08:59:53 PM

I shoot a 20 ga 870 with a Rob Roberts final strut .570 and the double x were horrible out of it. Maybe you will have better luck but I didn't even get 100 in 10" at 20 Yards.. Try the federal grand slams that are new and improved from last year. It's 35-38 yard shell w/ the .570, and #5 lead to boot. Same price as double x.

Winchesters are terrible out of my 20 also.  I only shot them at 42yds but I was averaging in the high 20's/low 30's.

The Federal fcw #6 lead would make a 35yd load but that's the max I'd trust them. 

I'm shooting a youth 870 with a 570 colonial arms choke.

PALongspur

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 11, 2019, 06:25:06 PM
I try to not skimp on ammo.  It's the only thing you have that connects with a living critter.  I don't turkey hunt to save money so I try to shoot the good stuff.

I'd save up for TSS or H13's.

:agreed:

DBell

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 16, 2019, 09:28:25 PM
Quote from: DBell on February 16, 2019, 08:59:53 PM

Winchesters are terrible out of my 20 also.  I only shot them at 42yds but I was averaging in the high 20's/low 30's.

The Federal fcw #6 lead would make a 35yd load but that's the max I'd trust them. 

I'm shooting a youth 870 with a 570 colonial arms choke.

The #6 can only be found in the older federal loads correct? I've only shot the new ones in #5 lead, the pattern looks aright out to 38 so far. Need to take a few more shots to check consistency

spurman

I saw some of the new 3rd degree and they replaced the #7 HW with TSS, anyone tried these yet? I tried some of the old 3rd's last year in my SA459 20 ga. and like most are saying they are 30 yard shells. Pattern really opens up at 40.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Tom Foolery

One thing I've found with a 20 gauge. I bought quite a few lead loads to test figuring I could get a 40yd load out of one.  By the time the dust settled I'd spent enough to buy 3 boxes of HS or HW's and I had one load that would make 35yds on most days, sometimes, lol.  I use them now to check POI before I shoot the good stuff. 

I decided I'm not wasting money on something that may or may not work. I decided to spend it on what is proven in the 20 gauge 

After rebates it costs me 2.99 a shot for the heavyweights, around $1 more than for lead loads. 

I killed 2 birds last year, one at 23yds and one at 14yds.  Lead would have done it but I'm a fan of the performance I get from the HW's and HS.   If a bird hangs at 40 I'm good, if he pops up at 4, I'm good.

DBell

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 17, 2019, 10:11:33 AM
One thing I've found with a 20 gauge. I bought quite a few lead loads to test figuring I could get a 40yd load out of one.  By the time the dust settled I'd spent enough to buy 3 boxes of HS or HW's and I had one load that would make 35yds on most days, sometimes, lol.  I use them now to check POI before I shoot the good stuff. 

I decided I'm not wasting money on something that may or may not work. I decided to spend it on what is proven in the 20 gauge 

After rebates it costs me 2.99 a shot for the heavyweights, around $1 more than for lead loads. 

I killed 2 birds last year, one at 23yds and one at 14yds.  Lead would have done it but I'm a fan of the performance I get from the HW's and HS.   If a bird hangs at 40 I'm good, if he pops up at 4, I'm good.

I saw Rogers has fed HW #6 for 14.99 a box of 5. Was thinking of trying them but Heard the #6 doesn't do near as good as the #7 (which I can't use)

Tom Foolery

I've never shot the HW 6's but I wouldn't expect great numbers.  My gun is 115-125 with H13 6's from both a.570 tightwad and a 570 colonial.  I have 10 boxes of them in case the HW 7's run out.  H13 6's have been great killers for me.

devin4484

My son currently 8 uses them in out of his tristar raptor 20 with a sumtoy choke.  He has killed 3 with it and I have also shot one with it.  I choose this load because it is super forgiving close if he is off on aim a little and is still killing a bird at 40 no question. 

squidd

Tried the Winchester Double X at 30-yds - still thinking I need a different shell or choke for the 20???

DBell

Quote from: squidd on February 22, 2019, 01:58:05 PM
Tried the Winchester Double X at 30-yds - still thinking I need a different shell or choke for the 20???

That would take a gobbler at 30 yards all day. However, I think at 30 yards you can get a better pattern with lead #5. Try the federal grand slam.
This is the best 30 yd pattern out of 5 shots. (Circle is 10 inch, and the second number is adding in the hits roughly 2 inches outside the circle.