OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal 3rd Degree

Started by aclawrence, February 03, 2019, 03:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Hey guys what's the general opinion on these shells. My local academy has some on sale. They are Federal 3rd degree 20 ga 5,6,7 shot. They're on clearance for $13.48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejake

Regulation where I hunt is no shot smaller than 6, 7s if it's part of a duplex load with larger shot.  After years of using Federal HW 7s, I decided to do right by the law.  Started using the 3rd degrees, and got a good pattern.  Killed one at 31 steps last year, and the shell hammered him.  Had forgotten what a bloody head looked like, lol.

tree-rat sniper

Shot a box when they came out, it patterned ok but HW7's were still around back then, so I ended up using those for hunting until they couldn't be found.  Ended up using Win L/B X/R #6 last year.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

squidd

I patterned quite a few last year and wasn't impressed.  Using Win LBs for the 12-ga and may do same for 20-ga?

Used the 20-ga for most of the duck season and need to figure out pretty quickly if I'm going to set it backup with a red dot or shoot with a bead?...

Greg Massey

Hey at that price , why not try a box .... nothing wrong for having it as a back up shell etc ... 

aclawrence

Well I was hoping to acquire some TSS for this season and would prefer to put all my funds towards that but right now I'm afraid I won't be able to buy any before it's gone!

Greg Massey

Quote from: aclawrence on February 10, 2019, 05:31:23 PM
Well I was hoping to acquire some TSS for this season and would prefer to put all my funds towards that but right now I'm afraid I won't be able to buy any before it's gone!

If funds might be the problem , i would get the next best thing and get some longbeards ....

aclawrence

Yeah I guess that's what I was kind of getting at wondering if these might be the next best thing. I rolled two birds over with long beards last year but that was out of my 12 ga.

Greg Massey

Quote from: aclawrence on February 10, 2019, 05:42:42 PM
Yeah I guess that's what I was kind of getting at wondering if these might be the next best thing. I rolled two birds over with long beards last year but that was out of my 12 ga.

Yes , i think you will be fine with the number 6 longbeards ... in your 20 gauge ...

Big Jeremy

In my experience patterning, 3rd Degree shells are about as good as a high brass load. Don't get me wrong, it'll kill a turkey, but there are many much better options. In my 20, I've shot 3rd degree, Magblends, long beard 5s & 6s, and Winchester Supreme 5s, and high brass 6s...the 3rd degree was the least desirable pattern at 40 yards. It was one of the better patterns at 15 yards, though...guess it depends on what you want.

I will be patterning some Federal TSS this year, and figure that it will be what I roll with when I take out the 20 gauge.

valerio024

Quote from: aclawrence on February 03, 2019, 03:13:33 PM
Hey guys what's the general opinion on these shells. My local academy has some on sale. They are Federal 3rd degree 20 ga 5,6,7 shot. They're on clearance for $13.48.

I found some on clearance at field and stream for $4.40 a box. At that price I had to try them.

aclawrence

Thanks guys I'm going to pass on the 3rd degrees and save a few dollars for the TSS.

Tom Foolery

I try to not skimp on ammo.  It's the only thing you have that connects with a living critter.  I don't turkey hunt to save money so I try to shoot the good stuff.

I'd save up for TSS or H13's.

RED NECK

I tried it from different 12 gauges and 20 gauges,different chokes and I wasn't impressed with it,I wouldnt hunt with it but it worked fine to 30 yards in the 20 gauge,I just thought it was a waste of money and still have a few boxes kicking around.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

kyhareraiser

i tried the 3rd degree because like you guys i found them on sale  but outa my mossberg 500. and 3 chokes later i couldn't get a good 40 yard pattern outa my 12 or  20. so i tried them out on my Encore and the has a decent pattern at 40 but not what i wanted .  so i either use He i-shot mag blend. or longbeard in my 12 ya.  for the 20 ya it's always been Hevi-shot because i couldn't find the longbeards in 20 ya anywhere. but this year i already have 20 ga. longbeard setting on ammo shelf .  waiting on a dry day to try them out