turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best turkey gun and choke

Started by Woodhaven, February 03, 2019, 02:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhaven

I use a Remington 887 nitro mag 3-1/2 with a Carlson's choke I have killed my only two long beards wth this

NYshotgunner

After 58 years of active hunting.........I've learned everyone has a different best.
"Don't go pokin' at it, don't over think it"
NRA Life Member, Veteran

wchadw

Quote from: NYshotgunner on February 03, 2019, 02:51:45 PM
After 58 years of active hunting.........I've learned everyone has a different best.
A agree with this. A lot of it is personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

So many criteria or factors for determining what's "best" for a certain situation. I guess if there was a best it would be lightweight, low recoil, compact, and put a butt load of pellets in the ten ring. I think a better question would be what are the characteristics that you would choose to make a "best turkey gun".  Maybe your asking what chokes certain guns like best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Every bird I've kill has been with a 870. Expect that to change in the next couple years though. There are come semi auto 20s calling my name.

Spurs

Quote from: Gobble! on February 03, 2019, 03:43:49 PM
Every bird I've kill has been with a 870. Expect that to change in the next couple years though. There are come semi auto 20s calling my name.

Shot an 870 express for 15 years until last year.  Bought my son a new Franchi, so his 1187 compact 20 was collecting dust.  Didn't take me long to setup that 1187 and killed 6 birds with it last year.  Didn't realize how much of a difference it would make having a short gun like that would pay off.  No more catching limbs walking, lighter, less kick, the list goes on.
This year is going to suck!!!

Bowguy

First post took the words out of my mouth. There's no best. It's best for you

LaLongbeard

870  Wingmaster , choke depends on shell and shot size. Any gun can get a decent pattern with the right choke and shell.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Turkeytider

It`s truly individual preference. I can certainly understand the move to a 20, though. I shoot an `05 vintage 870 Super Mag with a thumbhole stock and a red dot with a Jellyhead .660. Certainly does the job but kicks like a rented mule. Made my eyes water when I first got it until I slipped on a Limbsaver and started wearing a T-shirt with a pad. It`s OK now, obviously not high volume shooting, so it`ll take me through the rest of my turkey hunting days.

Greg Massey

If you have to alter 12 gauge shotgun to lesson the kick , it's time for another gun .. like 20 gauge in my opinion ... I started out with old single barrel 12 gauge. Next gun was 870 - 12 gauge. Next gun was Browning BPS 10 gauge , Next gun was Mossberg 3 1/2 kicking mule. Next gun was back to regular 12 gauge 3 in gun .. IT TOOK ALL THESE GUN"S TO FINALLY GET THE RIGHT GUN >>> 20 GAUGE ... You can kill turkeys just as dead with that 20 gauge and like everyone said it's a lot easier to carry etc ....

bbcoach

It's about confidence in your equipment.  My confidence is an 835, with 3 1/2" Hevi 7's and a .670 Pure Gold choke.  Hammers birds!

Happy

Use what shotgun you like and performs well for you and you will have confidence in it. I personally like a 3.5" 12 gauge pump. But I'm laying on the couch with a rottweiler in my lap not a poodle. :)
Couldn't help but fire a shot back at the anti mossberg crowd.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gobble!

Forgot to add, best choke would be Indian Creek. Look at the NWTF champships the last 10 years. Jebs would be my second choice.