OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 870 and Longbeard

Started by valerio024, February 01, 2019, 05:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valerio024

Hey guys I have a Remington 870 that I've been shooting Longbeard XR through for the past several years, both 4's and 5's. I'd really like to get a solid combination worked out this year and I'm looking for suggestions on shot size and choke combinations that have worked good for you all. I currently have a Tru Glo Gobble Stopper .665 and a Carlson's .660, though I haven't shot it much. Here's some patterns from last year with #5's from both chokes. Good,decent or bad? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deputy 14

I shot the 6s through a hevi 662 and they shot a really good pattern. Each gun is gonna be different but I would try your 660 with 6s and see how that looks. The patterns you posted will hunt but you can get more out of the longbeards.

RS

After trying the Hastings choke I had used for years with the old Win. HV shells and the Carlsons longbeard choke, I ended settling on the cheap Primos Jellyhead using the 3" LB #5s.

lowoctane

:morning:
Check out the Remington section on this site for visuals on particular load/choke combinations. That will give you an idea of what others are doing. Have fun and be safe!!!  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Gobble!

If your stuck on the LongBeards I'd reach out to Indian Creek or Jebs. They are the ones constantly breaking records with those shells.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Gobble! on February 13, 2019, 10:12:09 AM
If your stuck on the LongBeards I'd reach out to Indian Creek or Jebs. They are the ones constantly breaking records with those shells.
X2

tnanh

I shoot a Sum Toy 665 using three inch Longbeard Magnum #6 and get 205 in the 10 inch circle. I have been very pleased with it but put a 2X scope on the gun because there isn't much outside the 10 inch circle.

knightrider

Hevi choke 662? With the 5's clean the barrel first

PaLmbHngr

I shoot the 3.5" longbeards out of an 870 with a24" barrel and a Indian creek choke with fantastic results.

Clydetaylor1

valerio024

Quote from: Gobble! on February 13, 2019, 10:12:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I got a good deal on a Trulock Longbeard choke that they build for XR 6's. It's a .650 construction. If I'm still not pleased I plan to give Jebs a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaLmbHngr

.665 for the Remington 870 on the Indian creek.

Clydetaylor1

Tsawyer340

Indian creek tube with the long beard #5's is a great combo

DP42912

My 870 likes a Carlson 660 and Longbeard #6s... Its tight but deadly