turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth call purrs?

Started by Bustabeak, April 26, 2011, 09:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

Ok. I have tried everything. Watched all videos on here and tried every different way that people have recommended. I still cant do it. I can do it and flutter my lips and I just don't think it sounds anywhere near as good. I can roll the last note of a owl call with my young but can't for the life of me get it to work with a mouth call!! Anyone got any others pointers? I've tried to gargle, I've tried the tongue  flutter everything. Its starting to get aggravating now!  :bike2:

gwa

The lips thing works even though it doesn't sound quite right, I use that method. My brother in law does it the other way which I "think" sounds better but when we would be out calling, if I purred the gobbler would keep in strut and gobble putting on a show, my brother in law thought he would try his hand at it. He purred, the gobbler dropped out of strut and ran. Even though he sounded better to my ears, the turkey was scared to death. It didn't sound aggressive but it must have been the tone that sent him packing for the hills. Do what you can with what you got.

drenalinld

It can also be accomplished with a little tongue and lip flutter. Try that without a call and you may find it transfers to a call easily.

The key with gargling your throat is getting the air to flow between your tongue and the reeds. Keep experimenting with tongue pressure.

One thing to watch with the gargle method is fluttering too fast. This can unintentionally convey an aggressive, fighting type purr. It took a ton of practice for me, but is very effective for finishing birds. To get the contented purrs think slow moving air from your diaphragm.

culpeper

I have no idea which calls you are using, but I have found that I can purr much better when I turn over (upside down) a raspy mouth call.  Not sure why, but it seems to work a lot easier for me.  it is higher pitched, but since I am not calling loud when purring it doesn't seem to matter, it worked yesterday to settledown the jakes we brought in and got them strutting for 10 minutes at 20 yards.

savduck

Take your mouth call in both hands at the ends of the horse shoe and push inward just a little on each side. Pushing the frame inwards together will loosen the stretch on the reeds and let them flutter easier. I get my best purrs on light stretch reeds. The style of cut seems to affect it too. Me, I find cutters and batwings purr the best for my palate shape.

It takes time to get a good purr on a mouth call. you have to train your throat, tongue, and mouth muscles to work together. Remember when you were a kid playing with match box cars. You would run them all over going UNNNN UNNN UNNN. The sound is a gutteral sound, a growl coming from the back of your throat and the air coming from your diaphram. Make that sound first to get the reed vibrating, then start fluttering your tongue. It will all come together.
Georgia Boy