OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tj Johnson call

Started by fordhunt, January 31, 2019, 10:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJ Strutter

I'll give TJ his due he's making nice looking Marlin calls, but I'd pumped the brakes with this legendary status for a minute. More important I take exception with the disrespect of two true legends that was named Lapp and Lamar!!  Just shaking my head!! That's really weak to put peoples names down to pump up another!! Just my 2 cents!
Tri County Longbeards Chapter President
United Bowhunters of NJ
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

MDTOM84

NeverRoosting

Quote from: SJ Strutter on February 05, 2019, 06:07:12 PM
I'll give TJ his due he's making nice looking Marlin calls, but I'd pumped the brakes with this legendary status for a minute. More important I take exception with the disrespect of two true legends that was named Lapp and Lamar!!  Just shaking my head!! That's really weak to put peoples names down to pump up another!! Just my 2 cents!

If you are referring to my comment I think you took it wrong.  I do think TJ is making a better box, I specifically said that the other two don't make bad boxes, and I also specifically said I really like their boxes and own quite a few of both...so how am I bad mouthing them there...what that means/or what I meant by it is TJ's are that good.  Pretty sure I wouldn't own several from both Lamar and Lapp if I didn't like them.  Someone specifically asked/commented about Lamar and Mike so that's how their name came into it for comparison.

longbeard56

Sooo many folks building great calls. The best part about this for me is it keeps the great folk history of call making alive. I gotta say to skinny this down to a chosen few seems a bit interesting to me.

I bet I could name at least 25-50 Callmaker's names that would get a Gobbler on my Lapp. ( Including Lapp)

Sometimes I think the worst judge of a good call are us. Id always opt for the best critic on the planet. Mr. Tom

Is there really a shortlist right now. If there is id like to add a few that on any given day can turn a head Whitt, Bullock, Harrison, Hudson, Lacey, McKamey, Bashore, Kruer, Lancaster, Smith, Terefencko, Brown, Fulcher, Hudson, Rice, Impson, Lea, Witter and others cause I know I'm missing a few.
longbeard 56/Tenth Legionnaire
Tri-County Longbeards
NWTF Chapter
Southern NJ.

sixbird

Agreed...Johnson may be making a great call but he hasn't put in his dues like Mike Lapp and Lamar Williams and he didn't develop his own style and his own sound like Mike and Lamar did.
More power to him but to start calling legend status is a little, well, "premature..."

MS Boy

It's all good on my end NeverRoosting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeverRoosting

Quote from: sixbird on February 05, 2019, 07:19:26 PM

Agreed...Johnson may be making a great call but he hasn't put in his dues like Mike Lapp and Lamar Williams and he didn't develop his own style and his own sound like Mike and Lamar did.
More power to him but to start calling legend status is a little, well, "premature..."

Glenn and Jay, I never used the words legendary...I stated he's making the third best box call right now.  Yes he makes a "Marlin" call but the guy is also learning and figuring stuff out on his own in addition to Marlin mentoring him.  Wouldn't you say Lamar and Mike are making a "cost" style call...I would think they also had mentors along the way to help with their learning curves.

Pooh4459

That's what I keep hearing that makes no sense to me. People saying " well what's up with him making an exact copy of a fiddlebox?" Well what's the difference between that and people making a cost style box? It's a design Marlin created just like neil cost's design and originally he asked Lamar and Mann to continue making. There is no Difference.

sixbird

Difference is dues...T.J. may be making a great call, but he hasn't payed his dues. Mike and Lamar spent years developing what they learned from Neil. They won awards and, in Mike's case in particular, developed a tongue call, a push pin, scratchers, long and short boxes...There's a list. Mike didn't just copy a design and that was that.
Now maybe T.J. will go on to do great things in the turkey call world. I hope he does. If he does, I'll be singing his praises.
I think Jay's and my point was he hasn't earned it...Yet...
So, before this gets out of hand, I'll say that T.J. does make a nice call. Maybe even an exceptional call. I don't, so my opinion is just like anybody else's if I tried to buy something with it...Worthless...
Let's talk about turkeys!

NeverRoosting

Quote from: sixbird on February 06, 2019, 11:57:48 AM
Difference is dues...T.J. may be making a great call, but he hasn't payed his dues. Mike and Lamar spent years developing what they learned from Neil. They won awards and, in Mike's case in particular, developed a tongue call, a push pin, scratchers, long and short boxes...There's a list. Mike didn't just copy a design and that was that.
Now maybe T.J. will go on to do great things in the turkey call world. I hope he does. If he does, I'll be singing his praises.
So, before this gets out of hand, I'll say that T.J. does make a nice call. Maybe even an exceptional call. I don't, so my opinion is just like anybody else's if I tried to buy something with it...Worthless...

So basically all of your points have nothing to do or very little to do with my comments and it has nothing to do with the finished product bc the guy hasn't been in it long enough to have paid his dues...also listing all of the different calls Mike makes is great but is way off topic here...I actually think Mike makes the best longboxes out there and have told the Mike himself that I feel that way on more than one occation, but that's not what the discussion is about here, I was talking shortboxes.  If I'm putting out a top ranking list for short boxes right now it would be dawkins and marlin tied at #1, then TJ at #3, Lapp would probably land #4 for me and Lamar would be #6...I'd say there's no disrespect there with that list.  So just like in my original post, I was responding to a guy that mentioned Lapp and Lamar and I think for all of the calls I've ran at call shows between those guys and personally own, that TJ is making a better shortbox right now, and I made sure to say that I like and own the other two in my original post.  I don't even own a call from TJ and not on his list (so this isn't me trying to hype up what I own, again I own several lamar and lapps so it's quite the opposite), but I've ran around 25 of the first 50 calls TJ has made and consistency is already through the roof so I feel like the young man deserves credit for his hard work regardless of how long he's been making calls as I based it off of finished product.  I do like how you said "maybe even an exceptional call"...keep running them and I guarantee you that "maybe" will be dropped from your sentence.  Pretty sure Albert Paul is the one that mentored Mike when he seeked it and Lamar never entered contest.

SJ Strutter

Quote from: NeverRoosting on February 06, 2019, 12:39:46 PM

So basically all of your points have nothing to do or very little to do with my comments and it has nothing to do with the finished product bc the guy hasn't been in it long enough to have paid his dues...also listing all of the different calls Mike makes is great but is way off topic here...I actually think Mike makes the best longboxes out there and have told the Mike himself that I feel that way on more than one occation, but that's not what the discussion is about here, I was talking shortboxes.  If I'm putting out a top ranking list for short boxes right now it would be dawkins and marlin tied at #1, then TJ at #3, Lapp would probably land #4 for me and Lamar would be #6...I'd say there's no disrespect there with that list.  So just like in my original post, I was responding to a guy that mentioned Lapp and Lamar and I think for all of the calls I've ran at call shows between those guys and personally own, that TJ is making a better shortbox right now, and I made sure to say that I like and own the other two in my original post.  I don't even own a call from TJ and not on his list (so this isn't me trying to hype up what I own, again I own several lamar and lapps so it's quite the opposite), but I've ran around 25 of the first 50 calls TJ has made and consistency is already through the roof so I feel like the young man deserves credit for his hard work regardless of how long he's been making calls as I based it off of finished product.  I do like how you said "maybe even an exceptional call"...keep running them and I guarantee you that "maybe" will be dropped from your sentence.  Pretty sure Albert Paul is the one that mentored Mike when he seeked it and Lamar never entered contest.

Never Roosting listen I gave TJ his due. When I said legendary I basically disagreed with your statement with being the 3rd best short box out there! (My Opinion) Everybody's ears are different and everyone likes are different. Lastly I DID NOT like the comment about Lapp and Lamar. I hope this clears up my response. (Again my opinion)  Here's my cell if you want to discuss any further 609-352-6957 Anytime
Tri County Longbeards Chapter President
United Bowhunters of NJ
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

NeverRoosting

Quote from: SJ Strutter on February 06, 2019, 03:47:27 PM
Quote from: NeverRoosting on February 06, 2019, 12:39:46 PM

Never Roosting listen I gave TJ his due. When I said legendary I basically disagreed with your statement with being the 3rd best short box out there! (My Opinion) Everybody's ears are different and everyone likes are different. Lastly I DID NOT like the comment about Lapp and Lamar. I hope this clears up my response. (Again my opinion)  Here's my cell if you want to discuss any further 609-352-6957 Anytime

What part of the comment did you not like?  The part where I said I actually like their calls?  Saying I like one guy over the other isn't putting the other down when you are having to pick one or the other...I'm actually using them as a baseline standard to show that TJ is doing great bc they are highly respected by others and MYSELF.  If I didn't like Lapp and Lamar's calls, again I wouldn't have stated that I own several of their calls and that I like them (maybe I should have said "loved" instead)...seems like you are just taking the comment the opposite way than what I stated and turning it into something it's not.  Makes zero sense especially when you and I have hung out running calls at Mike's booth a number of times, BS'd and talk about how much we both like them.

longbeard56

Wow some great spirited debate over Good to Great. As long as while we are contemplating who the best are lets be sure to keep dragging, sharing, mentoring all the folks we can to enjoy the great treasure of Turkey history. Only 2 things will keep this great pipeline flowing new recruits and cash!!

Without that this great sport will dry up and so will allot of sawdust when us middle age old Toms & Hens head for the pasture!!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
longbeard 56/Tenth Legionnaire
Tri-County Longbeards
NWTF Chapter
Southern NJ.

fordhunt

I have tj making me a call in the combo of Black limba and yellow heart .then I will share my opinion if it will stand with a Lapp. I have two of Mike's calls and there the best sounding box calls I own .if anyone here has a Lapp box in that combo and want to sale it ...Pm me please .

fountain2

Dues paid and will put all doubt aside....