OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Optic mounting options

Started by valerio024, January 30, 2019, 11:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valerio024

For years I have been hunting turkeys with a vinyl wrapped Remington 870 12ga 3".  I have always just used the bead, but I'd like to try an optic this year. Is it worth getting it drilled and tapped or should I just use my b square saddle mount?

My other option is to use an all black Franchi Affinity that is already drilled and tapped from the factory.  But I'm hesitant to use an all black gun. What option would you guys pursue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dms2511

I have gone both routes, and both have advantages and disadvantages. The big positive for me on the B-square saddle mount is that you can generally see under the mount and down your ventilated rib to the bead if you need it. (ie: Plan B)

You may also want to consider that you may not like the optic, and saddle mounts on 870's are easily added and removed. Once you drill and tap a gun it's permanent. Yes, you can remove the mount but you will always have holes in your receiver.

I would probably start with saddle mount to see if you like it, and if you do revisit drill and tap at a later time. I think you will enjoy the optic, as it is makes shooting these tight shooting modern day choke and shot combinations much more precise.

Gumby

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Gumby on January 30, 2019, 11:21:52 PM
Use the black gun
x2 Camo Is more to look the part of a turkey hunter than necessary...

Greg Massey

3 out of 5 of my turkey guns have saddle mounts. One of the 5 came from the factory already drill and tap and one has just regular sights ... The 3 i use the most all have saddle mounts and I use them the most with scopes and red dot ... I like the saddle mount so i can still see my bead .. Why not have the best of both world's and set both of your guns up for turkey hunting ....use your saddle mount and if you don't like the setup you can always take it off ....

dirt road ninja

Do you have a problem that optics need to correct? If not, stick to your bead.

valerio024

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 31, 2019, 07:16:31 AM
Do you have a problem that optics need to correct? If not, stick to your bead.
No I just missed some birds early on from what I think to be improper cheek welds so I still get nervous about that when I'm out. I'd like an option that takes that concern off the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytaker203

My 870 Express Super Mag Turkey has a B-Square saddle mount with a Burris Fast fire 3. I let my son-in-law, who is a newbie to turkey hunting, use it for the last two season and he got a gobbler each season. He and I both like the saddle mount. He told me he was so shook when the birds came in that the red bot on the FF3 was bouncing around and he could not control it, so he looked through the tunnel on the B-Square. He could hold the bead more steady and made killing shots. He like the idea of having the option.

SKFOOTER

Check out the Aimtech Rib Rider Vent Rib Mount.   :turkey2:

lowoctane

Quote from: SKFOOTER on January 31, 2019, 09:40:07 PM

X2!!!
          Saddle mounts scratch and rub the finish off of the receiver!
          I mounted my red dot on my rib many years ago but I can't
          get my picture to load... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

CrustyRusty

Rib rider...I thought that was the name of a condom :drool:

Quote from: SKFOOTER on January 31, 2019, 09:40:07 PM