turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you could live anywhere...lower 48

Started by JakeBrake, Today at 06:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeBrake

Probably going to have the opportunity to move in the next couple years with the wifes job. If you were looking to move where would you choose? Currently living in Western KY, which is great, but wanting to spread the wings.
Hunting opportunities 
Fishing opportunities
Cost of living
Ect...

ScottTaulbee

Western Ky lol. More specifically Christian county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lcmacd 58

There are worse places to live
You have LBL .... Kentucky and Barkley
Ballard County for ducks
Close to Mo.
Just to name a few

Gooserbat

Lincoln Co. NM
Turkeys, Elk, and Bear.  And the climate suits me.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mdmitchell

Not far from you in southwest Indiana. I love where I live. I have KY and IL 30 min either direction. Large national forest here in Indiana and the cost of living is cheap as anything. But I also have kids and no desire to move them around.

Western KY it's a sportsman's paradise. The grass isn't always greener

Yoder409

I could see me snowbirding it between here or Nebraska (Dawes or Sioux county) or Wyoming (Niobrara or Weston county) in the summers and Florida (Alachua, Levy or Marion county) for the winter.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

davisd9

Would never leave the Carolinas. If I did not state in SC then it would be NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

GobbleNut

It really depends on what a guy's specific priorities are.  Where I live checks a lot of those boxes mentioned, but there are also some "deficiencies" about living here.  Regarding turkey hunting, in particular, we have some great opportunities within the state (NM), but if a guy wants to travel OOS, things get complicated real fast...you are either going to drive a long ways or plan on paying a premium to hunt, or both.

On the other hand, we have LOTS of game species available...but many are limited through drawings with increasingly impossible odds. However, if you are a rich guy, you can hunt just about everything here every year if you are willing to pay for it.  >:( 

There are plenty of fishing opportunities, as well, but compared to a lot of states with abundant water and endless places to fish, the opportunities here would likely seem to be meager.

Cost of living is comparatively low (but so it the wage-rate base overall) and the weather is great...if you can stand the heat in the summer (but at least the humidity is low, so it's a "dry heat")  ;D  The one real "pro" about the weather, however, is that we don't have things like tornados, hurricanes, flooding, and the like...which, from what I see in other parts of the country anymore, is a REALLY BIG "PRO".

All things considered, I would rate living here a A-...or maybe a B+. As a turkey hunter...I might lower that to a B. If I was a rich guy who was looking for a place where I could have exclusive opportunities to hunt all sorts of big game, living here would be an A++,...but alas, I am not and therefore must wait for the scraps to be thrown my way...and those scraps don't come often.  ::)