turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Disappointed in my home state

Started by MShillhunter, May 06, 2024, 07:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

What good are new regulations when the current ones are not being enforced to the fullest? Tags will be no more beneficial than the current online game check system unless MS greatly steps up its game law enforcement presence. And yes, I've checked in EVERY turkey I've killed here since the online check system was implemented and I'll equally adhere to any new tagging laws.

slave601

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 08, 2024, 10:36:51 AMWhat good are new regulations when the current ones are not being enforced to the fullest? Tags will be no more beneficial than the current online game check system unless MS greatly steps up its game law enforcement presence. And yes, I've checked in EVERY turkey I've killed here since the online check system was implemented and I'll equally adhere to any new tagging laws.
I'm not sure what part of the state you're hunting, but here in jones, smith and jasper co they have stepped up the enforcement that's for sure. I mean big time!
"thinnin the flock"

Jbird22

Quote from: slave601 on May 08, 2024, 05:08:57 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on May 08, 2024, 10:36:51 AMWhat good are new regulations when the current ones are not being enforced to the fullest? Tags will be no more beneficial than the current online game check system unless MS greatly steps up its game law enforcement presence. And yes, I've checked in EVERY turkey I've killed here since the online check system was implemented and I'll equally adhere to any new tagging laws.
I'm not sure what part of the state you're hunting, but here in jones, smith and jasper co they have stepped up the enforcement that's for sure. I mean big time!
Covington and S for the most part. The areas you speak of needed it for sure. Hopefully it's just the start of better enforcement. If hunters here could only control their greed...

deadbuck

The first thing that has to happen is to shorten the season. The lawbreakers have too much time to break the law. Wish we could adopt the Missouri model, they killed 47,129 birds in 3 weeks. And, their harvest rates are consistently good from year to year.

PharmHunter

Howie g

Warden's are seldom seen in my region .

Jbird22

Jbird22

Quote from: deadbuck on May 09, 2024, 09:38:52 AMThe first thing that has to happen is to shorten the season. The lawbreakers have too much time to break the law. Wish we could adopt the Missouri model, they killed 47,129 birds in 3 weeks. And, their harvest rates are consistently good from year to year.
You can't realistically compare MS to MO when it comes to turkey numbers. They're 2 totally different animals. I do agree that MS would benefit from a similar enforcement approach as MO has though.

Also, I'm totally against shortening the season.

slave601

To me 6 weeks of pressure on turkeys is way too long in my opinion. If you can't get it done in that time frame I don't know what else to tell you. March 25th - April 25th is plenty long enough. Also a 2 bird limit wouldn't be bad. Even tho non residents have a draw for public land the area I hunt in central Mississippi is covered in non residents. I don't know how many are awarded a license but it's still a good bit there. Also I hate that only Florida opens up earlier than us. That's why I say bump it back to March 25th to match Alabamas opener
"thinnin the flock"

Jbird22

Quote from: slave601 on May 11, 2024, 02:17:00 PMTo me 6 weeks of pressure on turkeys is way too long in my opinion. If you can't get it done in that time frame I don't know what else to tell you. March 25th - April 25th is plenty long enough. Also a 2 bird limit wouldn't be bad.
Personally, it's hard for me to hunt as much as I like due to my occupation. I have plenty of PTO, but it's a terrible time of year for me to try to take off much. That's why I like the season structure as is. It's been several years since I got a limit.

If people would just get their 3 and stop, the length of the season would be a MUCH smaller factor. As for the 2 bird limit, it would likely only apply to those who currently obey it. Unfortunately, most of the ones b!tching about not having turkeys to hunt are the ones who are consumed by greed and don't know when to quit.

Quote from: slave601 on May 11, 2024, 02:17:00 PMEven tho non residents have a draw for public land the area I hunt in central Mississippi is covered in non residents. I don't know how many are awarded a license but it's still a good bit there. 
I've been told that some non-residents have said they just come on over and hunt without getting drawn. Thus my remark for needing an increase in enforcement.

Tclipse01

Has MS been seeing the declining turkey pops like elsewhere? More states should be way more proactive on stabilizing our bird numbers, but it doesn't seem to be much of a priority.

J. Adams

Hate to see it didn't pass, We have them here in Arkansas, although I guess all it has gotten us is a shortened season that starts about the 2nd week of Summer, when bombarded with "yall gotta do something" these agencies have mostly decided the best band aid in the business is to cut the season back and cut the limit back, neither of which makes a gotdang bit of difference as they are finding through research now.

Kudos to Adam Butler and the MDWFP for not jumping on that train of shortended late seasons.

A nationwide ban on baiting would be ideal, no male decoys allowed nationwide, the Ole Gobbler would bounce back pretty quick, a big problem we have is how many end up with a boot on their neck.

My redneck opinion, worth exactly what it cost.

bbcoach

Even if your State does enact a Turkey stamp, Good Luck with 100% of the monies going to turkey restoration.  The crooks that enact the stamp will have their hands in it so quick to pay for other things, It will make your head spin.  Another TAX that you'll may see 10% of the monies actually used for what it's Earmarked for.