OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Eastern Turkey with clipped feathers?

Started by Weatherby460, May 04, 2024, 06:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherby460

Northern IL bird. Taxidermist says the breast feathers are unique and he hasn't seen many like this. I thought he called them clipped/barbed feathers?

Can someone explain what is different than another bird? I think the black tips are showing up more on this bird then typical, but not exactly sure what he is referring to. Thanks

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

I am assuming he/you are referring to the lines/striations in the breast feathers. Not sure why your gobbler has them, but they are probably just the result of some genetic anomaly in your bird. It might be a rare occurrence in that gene pool...or could be a bit more common in other birds from that particular location.
...Also, not sure why your taxidermist would refer to that appearance in the feathers as being "clipped" or "barbed"...might be a colloquial term thought up by someone who has seen that anomaly before from that region, and often enough that it warranted being called "something". I've personally never heard those terms before, and am not sure how they would apply to that particular appearance feature. 

Weatherby460

Gotcha, Thanks...hopefully it's a worthy bird to get mounted.

Turkeybutt

Quote from: Weatherby460 on May 04, 2024, 09:55:55 PMGotcha, Thanks...hopefully it's a worthy bird to get mounted.
Maybe due to the hunt, the people who were with you when the bird was taken,
or some special circumstance involved in harvesting that bird or just the bird itself. If it has meaning to you; no matter how big or small than it is a trophy to you and is most certainly worthy of getting mounted.