OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Numbers

Started by zelmo1, May 14, 2024, 06:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

Texas has more corn feeders than any state in the nation. Tilting at windmills if you think corn is a big factor in turkey populations declining.

Greg Massey

No doubt predators are a problem I think we all agree. But habitat improvements is something that is needed to help increase the number of turkeys. I've seen what habitat improvements have done in our area with CRP land, this is areas we don't bush hog on a regular bases, we have done some forest tree cutting and opened up the forest canopy and we have planted and maintained food plots mainly clover. Overall our turkey numbers have increased.

Regardless if this is the same stories /issues helping keep awareness about the way others made improvements with trying to increase turkey numbers is a good thing in my turkey story book. If you care you will always share your opinions.  I Agree most of us have a concern about the wild turkeys and the resources. What about you ???

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on Today at 10:08:44 AMNo doubt predators are a problem I think we all agree. But habitat improvements is something that is needed to help increase the number of turkeys. I've seen what habitat improvements have done in our area with CRP land, this is areas we don't bush hog on a regular bases, we have done some forest tree cutting and opened up the forest canopy and we have planted and maintained food plots mainly clover. Overall our turkey numbers have increased.

Regardless if this is the same stories /issues helping keep awareness about the way others made improvements with trying to increase turkey numbers is a good thing in my turkey story book. If you care you will always share your opinions.  I Agree most of us have a concern about the wild turkeys and the resources. What about you ???

Agreed Greg,
There's always the sarcastic ones that could care less as long as their not affected...
"Solo hunter"

stinkpickle

Turkey numbers seem to be pretty steady where I hunt.  Although I haven't seen any big jumps in raccoons, opossums, skunks, coyotes, or other nest raiders, birds of prey have become MUCH more populous.  Perhaps the recent dry nesting seasons have countered that, though. 

zelmo1

Corn feeders aren't picky, they attract all animals. Raccoons being one of the most numerous. More raccoons, less nests are successful, it's basic math. If you feed the turkeys, use something other than corn. Z

slicksbeagles1

All have stated good points that are agreeable! There is a study fixing to come out by the TFT and I think Iowa that I am wanting to see. Farming practices aren't helping anything either and I understand that they are trying to make all they can but in my opinion the no till drill farming has hurt all wildlife dramatically. Who would have ever thought a squirrel was a nest raider!

mdmitchell

Quote from: slicksbeagles1 on Today at 12:58:24 PMAll have stated good points that are agreeable! There is a study fixing to come out by the TFT and I think Iowa that I am wanting to see. Farming practices aren't helping anything either and I understand that they are trying to make all they can but in my opinion the no till drill farming has hurt all wildlife dramatically. Who would have ever thought a squirrel was a nest raider!
I'm not trying to argue but how do you figure that no till is BAD for wildlife?