turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey meat question

Started by Brian Fahs, May 18, 2024, 03:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

I would think it more of  a paletabilty issue than a safety issue if your cooking the meat properly.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Brian Fahs

Lots of great responses guys. I appreciate the feedback.

I travel to hunt deer every fall and my neighboring state of Maryland where I do most of my deer hunting accepts donations of deer to feed the hungry. I have done this on trips to the Midwest and in marylands urban deer zones. I never heard of a program for turkey but think it would be cool. I have never had anyone turn down fresh turkey meat that I offered it to.

ruination

Bucket of acetone and some dry ice, flash freeze  :turkey2:
.410 Favors the Bold

appalachianassassin

If I'm not going to be home in the next few days, ill give it to a local.

Zobo

Drive home and freeze what you shoot before going to the next destination. Break up your trips.

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: ruination on May 19, 2024, 12:27:51 PMGotta say, I'm not so confident on keeping something on ice for weeks and eating it.

It needs to be frozen as far as food safety is concerned.

A couple days maybe
A couple weeks and the cats get it ...

lalongbeard75

I've killed 8 gobblers this season I only kept the 2 from Louisiana to eat. I never had any trouble finding someone that will take the meat. Keeps me from having to miss hunting time looking for ice machines etc. The meat is very low on my list of reasons I hunt turkeys. I'd never waste the meat from one but I'm not going to extreme measures to bring 2 pounds of meat home when I can find someone that will use it locally.

ruination

Quote from: lalongbeard75 on May 20, 2024, 08:58:35 PMI've killed 8 gobblers this season I only kept the 2 from Louisiana to eat. I never had any trouble finding someone that will take the meat. Keeps me from having to miss hunting time looking for ice machines etc. The meat is very low on my list of reasons I hunt turkeys. I'd never waste the meat from one but I'm not going to extreme measures to bring 2 pounds of meat home when I can find someone that will use it locally.

Dang, you kill small turkeys
.410 Favors the Bold