OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS

Started by Marc, April 24, 2024, 03:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihuntoldschool

Yes you are correct.  The bigger, heavier,harder pellets will hold the center core better and create slightly bigger wound channels, hit a little harder etc.. As you know this holds true lead, steel, hevi shot, bismuth etc.   TSS is no exception. 

But you need to think long and hard. Do you really want to be "that guy" who shoots anything other than TSS #9?

I will be honest if you shoot bigger than 9 you're not going to stay competitive in the hole counting contests.

Marc

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on April 24, 2024, 04:15:16 PMApex Ninja 8.5 puts out a wicked pattern in my 20g. When you get this pellet count with a dense, fast moving projectile, it is a no brainer.  You will have more wound channels that will penetrate and kill.  I don't think you can go wrong with 8.5 or 9.  I just think you have to see which load patterns better with your gun and choke.  I get the argument that one on one, speed and density being equal, the larger shot will do more damage.  In my opinion, the larger number of 8.5 or 9 pellets in the kill zone more than compensates for the size difference.  I am also less concerned about losing this pattern in another 10-15 yards.  Truth in reporting, I am not a physicist or a ballistics expert it works for me.

Very nice pattern.

Last weekend, I was attempting to pattern my new gun for POI.  Shot some cheapy target loads, and had as tight, or tighter patterns at 30 yards (well, more pellets in the target with a 12 ga.)...  Tested at 40 yards, and that pattern completely fell apart.

Low Antimony shot, and I did not expect great patterns, but I was quite surprised at how much that pattern broke down in 10 yards.  I would expect that my Hevi-Shot turkey loads, and especially TSS would hold together far better...  But I won't know until I put them on paper.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Marc on April 25, 2024, 05:22:05 PM
Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on April 24, 2024, 04:15:16 PMApex Ninja 8.5 puts out a wicked pattern in my 20g. When you get this pellet count with a dense, fast moving projectile, it is a no brainer.  You will have more wound channels that will penetrate and kill.  I don't think you can go wrong with 8.5 or 9.  I just think you have to see which load patterns better with your gun and choke.  I get the argument that one on one, speed and density being equal, the larger shot will do more damage.  In my opinion, the larger number of 8.5 or 9 pellets in the kill zone more than compensates for the size difference.  I am also less concerned about losing this pattern in another 10-15 yards.  Truth in reporting, I am not a physicist or a ballistics expert it works for me.

Very nice pattern.

Last weekend, I was attempting to pattern my new gun for POI.  Shot some cheapy target loads, and had as tight, or tighter patterns at 30 yards (well, more pellets in the target with a 12 ga.)...  Tested at 40 yards, and that pattern completely fell apart.

Low Antimony shot, and I did not expect great patterns, but I was quite surprised at how much that pattern broke down in 10 yards.  I would expect that my Hevi-Shot turkey loads, and especially TSS would hold together far better...  But I won't know until I put them on paper.
From what little I understand choke restrictions play a big part in how your core performs with TSS

Old Timer

I got into the 20ga because I'm old and it's lighter. Ordered some 3 inch #8 Apex. Excellent pattern so I'm staying with it.
That said I got a lot of lead for my old 835 that does a great job.Like them both. You know I've been pondering what will the manufacturers come up with next to want us to make that change for the latest and greatest?