OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is there a gobbler in tow or not?

Started by ul ess, April 26, 2011, 02:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ul ess

This is my second season and i shot a nice Merriam's opening day in SD, but haven't bee able to connect since. The weather up here has been rainy and snowy and generally terrible since season opened but there are of course birds around.

Twice now I've set up a primos She-mobile and Jake -mobile in the same spot and had a hen come in cutting like crazy. The first time she had a gobbler with her and my setup was poor and they spooked. The second time I had my dad with me and set him up to get a shot while I called. The hen came in at the exact time as before (1045) and began cutting like crazy. She was right in front of him going off for a good 5 minutes before she left via the same route, never once spooked. The closest she made it both times was about 10-15 yds from teh decoys. The gobbler never showed or made a noise and I'm not even sure he was there.

Do you think she still has a gobbler with her, my guess is she"s a dominant hen? Should I try a pretty boy/ girl i have? I'm pretty happy my slate didn't scare her off, but i want the gobbler where ever he may be.

Thansk for the help!

Hootowl

Great Question, But being a Green horn Myself I can not answer your question? I had something like this happen last year about 11am I had 4 hens making all kids of noise as the enter the woods, I kept thinking a Tom would be in Tow, I hung around for about 1.5 and nothing? Should I have just waited longer as the hens never left they feed around, till I scared the leaving. Sometimes this sport can be a wait Game I have found out thus Far, and alot of Patience

lmbhngr

She may be on her way to nest. After she goes away circle back the way she came; there might be a gobbler back there!