Main Menu

Home made pot calls..........

Started by Yoder409, January 20, 2019, 10:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

From another thread..........

Quote from: PEte_A on January 19, 2019, 06:18:40 PM
Quote from: paboxcall on January 19, 2019, 05:52:16 PM
A 3.25" glass/glass in cherry I made, and the Perfection Screamin' Demon II in a corian pot. A very, very close 3rd place photo finish is Tuscarora Mountain Jake Taker slate/glass.

So jealous of this! I would love to have made one of my favorite calls. I've never made one, but maybe some day!

Curious to see the pot calls made by other "non-callmaker" callmakers...........

I've hacked out a few pot calls over the years with some pretty primitive methods.  But I eventually figured out how to, at least, make them SOUND like a turkey.  My fit and finish lacks.  But the friction call I have carried 100% of the time for the last 20-ish years is a walnut slate over glass that I made.  Kinda satisfying feeling.

Here's a couple I did from years back.............

Post some home made gobbler killers up !!!   :)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

bobk

I have made a few walnut slate / slate pots. The homemade call that I have carried 100% of the time for many  years is a cut slate with hand carved  strikers. Truly a turkey  killer.

Yoder409

Love the hand carved strikers !!!

I always bring some limb chunks home from hunting trips out of my home area.......cedar, mesquite, native plum, stuff I don't even know what it is but looks like it'll make a good striker.........   :D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Curious to see the pot calls made by other "non-callmaker" callmakers...........
[/quote]
I am working on one but won't be able to finish right away. One of those kit deals. I will post it when done.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

PEte_A

As a teen I did a lot of wood working. Even worked in a custom cabinet making shop during high school. I'm so tempted to get a lathe and spin up some pots!!!

Yoder409

It's a pretty satisfying past time.

I'm hoping to get a shop set up in my garage within a couple years.  I've never run a lathe in my life.  But I'm thinking about getting one and seeing what happens.
PA elitist since 1979

R.W. Mackey

Here are a few of mine, it's just a hobby, I used to make some for sale but now mostly for myself and friends. I don't have any fancy duplicator or lazer engraver just a small lathe, drill press and band saw.
It's really great fun and very satisfying calling in birds with your own calls.
Oh and they sound good too.

RW

Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

tomfooleryy

Don't have a lathe or anything, maybe one day. But here is a striker I carved from a piece of cedar. Do you guys put any kind of finish on your strikers or just keep them natural?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

I've never put any finish on my natural, carved ones.

I did all of my two-piece, dowel strikers in polyurethane.
PA elitist since 1979