turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reminising a Scenario from a Previous Season

Started by mufishgrad, February 23, 2019, 05:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mufishgrad

Turkeys don't always seem to do what you think they will do. But I always think back to the previous season to try and figure what I could have done differently working a bird to why it may not have worked out. Last season I was working a Merriam tom the last three days of the season to no avail. He worked and gobbled well, but would never commit. I'm trying to see from advice of everyone on here what I could have done differently for future reference. Pressure where I was hunting was nonexistent in this area at the end of the season as far as I know.

Third Last Day: Struck a gobble a half an hour after fly down with a box call. Set-up in the woods and called with a diaphragm. Worked the bird a little then quieted down. Threw a few yelps out on a slate then shut up for good. The bird got to about eighty yards then seemed to lose interest. It seemed like he may have roosted near there so I got back early the next morning to set up on him.

Second Last Day: Set-up two Montana decoys. Waited to hear the bird gobble on his own. Was able to set-up within 100 yards of him. Used my hand to act like I was moving off in the other direction then quieted down and kept still as far as I know. He gobbled in place for a while then quieted down. After another ten minutes or so I heard a rustle in the brush to my right and that was it for that morning.

Final Day: Brought a hunting partner with me that could call well on a mouth call. Bird roosted another quarter to half a mile further in from the day before and got the lead on us with this since he was on the ground before we could get to him. Two other birds were there and gobbled once a piece. We cut the distance and seemed to turn him around with a closer gobble. Set-up some dekes and continued to try to coax him our way with the use of different calls. The bird halted out of sight 70 to 80 yards away gobbling. After about five minutes he continued off the direction he was headed.

Based on these circumstances, what could I have done differently if there was anything I could have done?