OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best longbox

Started by blackforesthp, January 17, 2019, 04:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarktroutbum

There was a youtube video of marlin watkins showing some of his long boxes. I looked for the video recently and was unable to find it. He ran one that I believe was poplar. Can't remember what the paddle was made from. It was of the most realistic hen sounds I'd ever heard from a call. I would love to be able to get that sound.

Greg Massey

Quote from: ozarktroutbum on January 17, 2019, 10:15:14 PM
There was a youtube video of marlin watkins showing some of his long boxes. I looked for the video recently and was unable to find it. He ran one that I believe was poplar. Can't remember what the paddle was made from. It was of the most realistic hen sounds I'd ever heard from a call. I would love to be able to get that sound.
I think you will find that on his instructional video's how to run long boxes etc.. i think he has 3 of these video's on youtube ...

willy8457

I have a Marlin Long Box that is Ipe, Butternut that is an awesome fall call,

silverspur

I have several of Mike Lapp's  that are deadly, I also have and use, Tim Bullock, Ernie Fetters, Frank Kruer all of them have done well in the turkey woods for me one time or another.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

tomstopper

greencop01

Billy Bush Beggin Machine or anything by Albert Paul.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

husker

I have a Frank Kruer box that I really like.   

paboxcall

I would happily hunt any box mentioned so far. But if I had to pick just one off a table of all possible long boxes, having never before played any of them, it just might be a Billy Bush osage over butternut.

Quote from: greencop01 on January 19, 2019, 08:07:46 AM
Billy Bush Beggin Machine or anything by Albert Paul.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Yoder409

It would take a small suitcase to carry all the longboxes I would hunt with.

Steve Kimble purpleheart over mahogany
Marlin Watkins hop hornbeam over mineral poplar.
Mike Crooks (Spring Creek) Cherry over maple
Primos Battleship (O.K.   not currently made, but DANG !!!)

No way to start naming calls and stop without leaving equally hot calls out.............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

mspaci

Fetters Red Heart over Chestnut, & will not break the bank

Chris O

Ernie Fetters walnut over butternut, Ernie didn't really want to build it he likes other woods better than walnut he said he would try to get a turkey out of it and I think he knocked it out of the park. I also have a rosewood over walnut and snakewood over sycamore all are great

Takeaim1st

Don't  know about currently but I had a Doug Camp "screaming Hen", that I lost a few years ago that I wish I could find a replacement for.

paboxcall

Quote from: Takeaim1st on January 20, 2019, 09:09:46 PM
Don't  know about currently but I had a Doug Camp "screaming Hen", that I lost a few years ago that I wish I could find a replacement for.

That hurts, sorry to hear that happened. Great box.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Takeaim1st

I contacted His late Wife a few years ago and she replaced the original. However as you know , there's something about the first one of most anything you get attached to that is special. The one I have now is great. Kee kees are effortless on it. High pitched cutting or cackles are also. I wore my legs out hunting the one I lost , the ridges  I lost it in were as steep as dirt can be stacked. I've  always thought that the bears in that area found it and chewed it up. There were several in the area.