turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best longbox

Started by blackforesthp, January 17, 2019, 04:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackforesthp

Who do you feel makes the best long box currently?  Best wood combinations?  Let the games begin.

Bowguy

It depends what you mean by best. Best sounding to our ear, best looking or best meat call. One of the longboxes I have from McKamey is cedar/butternut. I bought it secondhand and I have a few others I really like better soundwise. Bloodwood/mineral poplar is my fav there but that cedar box I cared the least about so it came w me relatively often. That thing is deadly on turkeys, great meat call. SS makes some real good ones too. I've got a redheart/poplar that sounds awesome.

blackforesthp

I was just starting a conversation.

I have a SS Ipe over black Limba that produces some killer high pitched kee kees.  Just wondering what everyone else thinks sounds the best.

sixbird

Pretty hard to beat Mike Lapp or Ed Terefenko...Ernie Fetters makes a good one for a reasonable price. Couldn't go wrong with a Marlin Watkins either...

Happy hooker

I don't have a ton of experience with long boxes but I've cycled through quite a few last two years
It's hard to beat a Steve Mann cedar over anything,,I made sure to get two cedar over butternut s
And Dan Wittenberg is a true instrument builder  way,way,way,under used.

vt35mag

I played a pile of bloodwood over mineral poplar and bloodwood over butternut long boxes Jeff McKamey had at turkey trot. The mineral poplar is a great call, but I went home with a butternut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

wvlimbhanger

I've got a few from Preacherman that are tough to crowd.....but my best one is a snakewood butternut from Marlin Watkins.   

vaplowboy

Steve Mann makes a good one. I have several of his including Do-dats.

TauntoHawk

Best is already relative opinion based on the user but once you factor time to aquire and cost it's even more diluted.

For example is a call "better" if it takes 3 yrs and $300 to aquire vs a call that can be had in a few weeks for $125 and calling in birds over those 3 seasons.. again thats going to vary by who's asking, and what you already have.

I usually answer these questions with an option that is reasonable in price and availability without sacrificing any sound qualities. For a long box based on those criteria I'd be hard pressed to recommend anyone over ernie fetter

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Browning87

Best could get you so many answers but I will tell you my favorite is a bloodwood/butternut from twisting creek!

MDTOM84

Anything from Marlin Watkins, Jeff McKamey or Mike Lapp

nitro

My top 3 choices ???

1. Steve Mann
2. Steve Mann
3. Steve Mann

I have a bunch of paddle calls and I hunt with a Mannmade.

Dawkins, Harwell, and Lapp make great calls too.. I just prefer Steve's calls and have killed a bunch of Gobblers from Coast to Coast and Mexico with a Mannmade. Go with what you know.
Royal Slam 2008

jed clampett

I have a Scott Witter ipe over butternut I got in the fall and haven't had a chance to hunt it yet..it sounds great

tracker#1

I have a Scott Witter Ipe/Butternut, Ernie Fetters Bolivarian Rosewood/Butternut, Snakewood/Wormy chestnut all sound turkey.  Great callmakers to deal with, real gentlemen. Each spent time with me (lessons) showing me sounds a long box can produce. Like taking the flock with you into the woods.....

Greg Massey

1. Marlin Watkins Hop Horn Bean over cherry from his home place ... 2. Ernie Fetters Bolivian Rosewood over Black Walnut 3. Scott Witter IPE over Butternut ...