OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey population

Started by killentime, January 19, 2019, 10:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

In Kentucky yes. It varies from one area to another but this past spring saw a big drop in numbers in some places. I know one spot of mine that has been a  consistently good spot for over 10 years was devoid of birds this past year. A few bad hatch years are to blam as well as high coon populations. There's not much we can do about the weather and I'm hoping for another big distemper outbreak like we had a few years ago to knock down the coon numbers.

dejake

Big decline in northeast PA.  I hope their not following the fate of grouse, they're almost non-existent.

Neill_Prater

Pretty much a nationwide situation, from what I have observed and read. I live in Missouri, and the population in our area is definitely down from 15-20 years ago. Same with Kansas, where I have hunted for 25 years or so, and with SE Alabama where I have hunted for the past 20 years. No one factor, I don't believe, but probably a combination of things in most areas. Predation is certainly a factor. When MO was trapping and transplanting birds back in the 60's and 70's, raccoons were worth good money, and were hunted relentlessly. You never saw a roadkill coon. Now, on any given day, you might see one splattered on the highway every few miles. I grew up hunting quail with my Dad in the 1950's and 60's. Seeing a coyote was kind of a big event. Now, I will bet there are a couple of dozen within a mile of my house.

I also am not a biologist, but believe there are many areas in this country that could once again benefit from some trapping and transfer of birds. Southeast Kansas is one of those areas. Torrential rains and subsequent flooding in the early 2000's almost wiped out a population already in decline, in some areas. It just makes sense to me that when the population gets to a low enough point, that it is almost impossible for a rebound to happen without human intervention, up to and including cutting limits or even closing seasons in some areas for a time.