turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gnats

Started by LaLongbeard, January 12, 2019, 08:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

Bull gnats noseeums or what ever your reginal term for these demons.   Thermocells  are the answer to mosquitos and permithrin for ticks what's the Gnat souloution? We've had a warm/rainy basically non existent winter and I'm sure the bug populations will be off the charts this spring.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Yoder409

Was out with the flintlock this morning...................... 14 degrees...............not a gnat in sight.

Reckon you just need to move farther north.   :D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

paboxcall

Bug net. I hate wearing them, but there have been a couple years for whatever reason the gnats were terrible. Its the only thing I've found to work.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Chris O

If you can stand the smell absorbine jr. or vanilla . They will still swarm close but don't land as much.

Yoder409

Quote from: paboxcall on January 12, 2019, 09:13:13 PM
Bug net. I hate wearing them, but there have been a couple years for whatever reason the gnats were terrible. Its the only thing I've found to work.

I figured gnats would have more sense than to take a taste of YOU.....................   :D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Ranger

Down here we call those bull gnats "dog pecker" gnats for obvious reasons and since we have the real deal, the sand gnat.  Either way, the best gnat protection is a Sister-girl hair product spray with olive oil, always in a two tone green bottle.  No joke, I've seen people burn incense, put dryer sheets in their hats, and bathe in Skin so Soft...you want the best look for that spray
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Ranger

ORS Olive Oil Sheen Spray.  Serious inshore fishermen order cases of this stuff in the Lowcountry
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 12, 2019, 09:21:52 PM
Quote from: paboxcall on January 12, 2019, 09:13:13 PM

I figured gnats would have more sense than to take a taste of YOU.....................   :D
:D
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

BBR12

I had to get up and leave a gobbling bird last year that was about 50 yards from me cause I couldn't open my eyes because of them beast from Hell. We tried vanilla and several different store bought concoctions that didn't slow them down at all. Finally found a head net and were able to keep hunting. This was in Wisconsin and I was ready to leave before the head net my eyes and ears were swollen up bad from alll the bites.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 12, 2019, 09:00:41 PM
Was out with the flintlock this morning...................... 14 degrees...............not a gnat in sight.

Reckon you just need to move farther north.   :D
You "Reckon" it'll be 14 degrees in April and May? 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

captpete

I have heard that "Bug Soother" works really well for Gnats.  It's an all natural bug spray. I have not personally used it but, the neighbor(he was the one that told my wife about it) and my wife both say it works great on Gnats.  It was just being sold locally, but now they are selling it nationally....might be able to find it near you. Here is a link to the website: https://simplysoothing.net/collections/bug-soother