OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2019 Turkey Shotguns

Started by MS Boy, December 15, 2018, 10:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbmabrey

I already own my choice(s).
I shot a big tom in Maryland with an 11-87-felt it was too easy and bought a tc encore muzzleloader barrel. Worked on loads, powders, shot cups and killed a 3 bearded 24 lb. gobler in Delaware. This is my favorite. 5 gobblers later I bought a Pedersoli 12 ga. sxs. with removable chokes.  Once again developed loads, tested shot, patterned it to 35 yards.
Shot a Maryland gobbler at 35 yds.  :turkey2:
My 2 muzzleloaders are definitely my favorites, not just for the 7 total kills with them. But for the hours of practice and fun. 

valerio024

Quote from: jbmabrey on February 03, 2019, 10:03:15 PM
I already own my choice(s).
I shot a big tom in Maryland with an 11-87-felt it was too easy and bought a tc encore muzzleloader barrel. Worked on loads, powders, shot cups and killed a 3 bearded 24 lb. gobler in Delaware. This is my favorite. 5 gobblers later I bought a Pedersoli 12 ga. sxs. with removable chokes.  Once again developed loads, tested shot, patterned it to 35 yards.
Shot a Maryland gobbler at 35 yds.  :turkey2:
My 2 muzzleloaders are definitely my favorites, not just for the 7 total kills with them. But for the hours of practice and fun.
Did you buy a specific muzzleloading shotgun barrel? If so where did you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottomland

MS Boy.... Great gun I got one myself couple years ago.  I now shoot the 20 gauge m2.  Just a little help.... if I was you replace the butt pad for a limb savor bolt in pad. You can get on limbsaver website. That stock pad that comes on them is terrible but the limb savor one is a game changer.

tha bugman

SBE with a 26" barrel

trkehunr93

I really like the new Savage .410 turkey gun they brought out this year.  Pretty sweet little gun, gonna wait to see what others think before I purchase one though. 

Deast1988

Last year I did a fully worked over 870 youth 20ga.

This year I'm doing a fully worked over youth .410 870.

If money wasn't an option I'd get a Rob Roberts Benelli Ethos 28ga, they posted a Cerakote bottomland 28ga that was fully worked over custom with optics. That thing was bad to the bone.

valerio024

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 06, 2019, 12:57:25 PM
I really like the new Savage .410 turkey gun they brought out this year.  Pretty sweet little gun, gonna wait to see what others think before I purchase one though.

I'm with you, that looks to be a sweet little set up

Gobble!

Quote from: valerio024 on February 14, 2019, 08:51:21 PM

They are selling those like hot cakes. I've seen some awesome patterns posted from those guns on some facebook pages.

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: Bigeclipse on January 03, 2019, 01:02:40 PM
Quote from: Turkeytider on December 18, 2018, 03:04:39 PM
Quote from: CrustyRusty on December 16, 2018, 02:40:09 PM
I'm interested in Remingtons new V3 turkey pro.  It's supposed to come out next month.  Already has a rail, 22" barrel, oversized controls and a lifetime warranty.  I've shot my buddy's 26" V3 and was impressed with it.

Next would be a Beretta 350 turkey gun.  It too has a rail and can shoot 3.5" if you want.  I think it's 24" barrel.

I have 870's in 20 and 12, Benellis, Berettas and a Browning, but the V3 really interests me.

And well you should be with the V3. Particularly at it`s price point, the V3`s one of, if not the, best guns going IMO. My walnut has been flawless. It should be a great system as a dedicated turkey gun, particularly so with the included optics.

I like the V3s but turkey barrels are getting way too short. 24-26inches is just as easy to lug around and swing to shoot a turkey. People forget how much velocity you are losing with such short barrels. I am trying to find the article but it showed such a significant velocity drop with a 22inch barrel versus a 26inch barrel that to retain the same energy, you needed to go to a larger pellet. So for example, lets say you are shooting #5 lead at 40 yards, well to get the same down range energy with a shorter barrel you would now need to go with #4s. Just my two cents.
I have found in my shooting my wife's you model 500 20ga with a 22" barrel hers shoots tighter patterns the my full size 20 with a 26" barrel I have to .015 to .020" more constriction than hers to match the pattern, I don't know if this is true for all guns, just my experience with 2 Mossberg built guns.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: Bigeclipse on January 24, 2019, 08:59:20 AM
Quote from: CrustyRusty on January 03, 2019, 03:46:14 PM
I think that topic has been discussed on Shotgunworld.  I will try to find it and you can look if you like.  I am curious to see the results but don't believe there is as much loss as expected.
I read that article and many others on the topic including watched some videos. Almost all studies showed very little difference in speed going from 28 down to 24in barrels. I think from memory it was around 50fps. But it started significantly dropping after that. 19inch barrel showed like a 200fps loss. That would make a marginal penetrating round a very bad round. There was one video where a guy literally would cut his barrel down inch by inch showing velocity with the same round. After all the research I did, it proved anything shorter than 24inch and you start losing more than you gain unless you only shoot to 30 yards, especially if you are using mild loads. I mean come on, how often has a longer barreled shotgun really impacted your hunt? (maybe out of a blind). I have hunted with a 28inch shotgun down to my father's custom SBE with a 22in barrel and not once did I find myself in a situation where having a short barrel would have helped. Just my two cents.
I believe even in high powered rifles the difference is negligible like 25 fps loss per inch, I would think it would be a bigger difference than that but the author has done on 3 different guns a 223, a 308 and a 300 win mag. Can you imagine pulling the trigger on a 16 inch 300WM?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

That`s a sweet looking little rig. My hunting buddy wants to get one in 20, but the distributors don`t even have them yet. Slap a red dot and a sling on it ( already comes with a rail ) and, with the possible exception of no follow up shot if needed ( not usually ), might be a perfect turkey gun. I`d sure look hard at one if I were in the market. That and a V3 Turkey Pro, but I`m beginning to wonder if either`s going to be available for this season.

HiIlbilly

Well it's not the new 301 turkey in camo, it is the 301 in 20 gauge. I drilled and tapped it for the Bushnell TR25, .575 Carlson's and a sling. If the weather will let up a little I'll see about getting it dialed in.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Terry

Quote from: Gobble! on February 15, 2019, 10:18:19 AM
Quote from: valerio024 on February 14, 2019, 08:51:21 PM

They are selling those like hot cakes. I've seen some awesome patterns posted from those guns on some facebook pages.
What Facebook pages? I own one and want to see what it's capable of

Thanks

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

dpierce72

Any thoughts on the Winchester SX3 Longbeard?  20 Gauge?

I'm in the market and my guy in Arkansas is pushing it hard.  I went for an 870 SPS sure shot...

Clearly the Winchester is more money.
You won't know ...if you don't go,

Arkansas Doug

dbishop

I picked up a Benelli Super Black Eagle III last spring with a 26" barrel in bottomland camo...that thing is super nice!!!  I wish I could find that pistol grip stock that comes on the Rob Roberts performance center Super Black Eagle...then I'd be in hog heaven toting that thing around the woods!