OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker guys

Started by gwa, April 25, 2011, 05:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblerhunter

Several very good comments.
I recently made several calls out of walnut for a customer.  They were all out of the same piece of wood.  Made to as close tolerance as I can make.  All were glass/slate with slate being a secondary surface.  Each sounded a little different.  No two were identical.  I made two strikers for each call, trying to bring out the sound I wanted.  One of the calls, in my opinion, was slightly better than the others.  The customer picked one of the other calls as his favorite.

One thing I noticed, while selecting strikers, was what I thought was best yesterday, might not be my pick today.  Several things influence the sound you get from a particular striker.  Hand position, angle of striker shaft, hand pressure etc. all effect the sound we hear.  Another thing I noticed recently, was weather or humidity.  I picked several calls and strikers to take on a hunt in south Texas a couple weeks ago.  I grouped calls and strikers together based on sound I got in Humble.  When I got to south Texas, the first thing I did was test calls and strikers.  I was surprised at the difference in pairing of the calls and strikers.  Weather was different, went from high humidity, medium temperature to a dry, hot area.  Surrounding was also different, behind my home versus wooded country.

This is why I carry a group of calls and many strikers.  I also carry several different type of calls.  As several have said, we all have a differant ear, preference and skill level.  Then we combine this with the turkey's preference.  Makes an interesting hunt.

Finally, I do think you can take a call and match it with a striker. May not be of the same wood, but you are looking for that particular sound that you think turkeys like.  This is what I do with each call I make.  I have several different test strikers I try with each  call.  Based on sound, I will either select one of these strikers, make a another one that is very similiar, or make one that is slighly modified, aiming at the sound I want.

Sorry for the longwinded comment, but I love to talk about turkeys  and trying to make that perfect  call.
Bill

kenturkey89

Quote from: gobblerhunter on April 26, 2011, 07:26:26 PM
Sorry for the longwinded comment, but I love to talk about turkeys  and trying to make that perfect  call.

Any time someone wants to talk or share information regarding turkeys I'm all ears.  There's been a lot of good posts on this topic
Brian

bowhunter84

Quote from: Wolfpack on April 26, 2011, 07:26:30 AM
A better thought is to get a few strikers test them on your calls
and keep what you like, that way you don't have a lot of shipping
involved and you end up with what you want.

The problem with having someone match for you is that we all have a
differant ear, preferences ,and playing skills.

Dewey
:agreed:

you may be looking for a different sound than what someone else looks for

KryptoniteKills

Wow you guys really hit on a lot of good points and I also agree that there are MANY variables that are involved in producing a quality sound from a pot call. The best thing to do would be to try many different wood types until you find the desired sound that pleases your ear. If it pleases your ear you will be confident in using that call and thats what will ultimately bring you success. Good Luck

magnoliagamecalls

I have sold strikers to customers and let them pick what they liked then they sent me back the ones they didnt want. Then I have refunded them. It has worked for both parties involved. But most times they usually kept all of them because they let a few of thier buddys play them then they toke what the customer didnt want.