News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Striker guys

Started by gwa, April 25, 2011, 05:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwa

Question for the striker makers,

If I sent you a pot call, could you match up a few strikers?

It doesn't hurt to ask....

Thanks!
Denny Emery

flydowntn

What kind of wood is the pot call made from. Let us know and I will see if I got some of the same wood.

Thanks 
Shane
S. P. Game Calls

gwa

It does not have to match wood wise, it has to sound good

doepee

gwa--thats a good idea, I have a pot also that I lost my striker to... like to see what kind of replies you get... definetely needs not to match the sound is the most important..

kenturkey89

Just out of curiosity is this a hypothetical question, or do you really have a pot that you want matched?  If so, what's the surface of the call?
Brian

neal

I have had a few people do this they send me a call I run a bunch of strikers on it till I find the best one and send the call and the striker back.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

gwa

Not hypothetical at all, I have 2 calls actually, a Cody World Class and a Cody Spec 1.

The World Class is a glass and the Spec 1 is slate.

The original strikers are OK but I feel the true potential of the calls is still within. I bought a purpleheart striker but wasn't what I was looking for.

doepee

Mine is a slate over glass in a canarywood pot..

kenturkey89

Just some recommendations for you guys to think about:

For glass, I'm a big fan of purpleheart.  Even though gwa said he didn't have good results pairing this wood up with his glass call, I think it compliments glass nicely.  You can also try woods like hickory, olivewood and bocote.  I have not made strikers with olivewood or bocote but I do have strikers made of them and they sound good as well.

For slate, I really like rosewood strikers.  I think they bring good rasp to a slate call.  You can also try woods like cocobolo, hickory, and again bocote sounds really good with slate.

I am new to call making but I spend several hours a week playing with my pot calls trying to match strikers to surfaces to see the different sounds they produce.  There are many other great call makers on this site who have been at this much much longer than I have and can add a lot of good insight as well.  Hope this helps!
Brian

doepee

I have strikers from various call makers in the woods that you have mentioned.. I have four purple heart strikers and none of them sound good on my glass calls... you can have the same wood from different call makers and they all sound different on the same call whether it be slate glass ceramic or aluminum....

Roost Wrecker

On slate i like padauk, zebrawood, purpleheart, and osage
On glass i like padauk, diamondwood, and osage
On aluminum i like diamond wood and osage, just my two cents but u can never have two many strikers. They can be differences in moisture and weight that can play a difference in sound even out of the same type of wood.

kenturkey89

Quote from: doepee on April 25, 2011, 11:05:38 PM
you can have the same wood from different call makers and they all sound different on the same call whether it be slate glass ceramic or aluminum....

You are exactly right doepee.  I've just had success with the purpleheart strikers that I have in producing a good quality sound from glass calls.  But I guess it's worth noting that just because it's purpleheart doesn't mean it's going to sound good on glass.  Things that affect the performance of the striker include overall length, length of the handle/top, thickness of handle/top, weight, woodgrain, and the type of tip on the striker as well as other factors.  When you sit an think about it, it's amazing how many precise measurements and factors go into producing a good quality pot call!
Brian

Wolfpack

A better thought is to get a few strikers test them on your calls
and keep what you like, that way you don't have a lot of shipping
involved and you end up with what you want.

The problem with having someone match for you is that we all have a
differant ear, preferences ,and playing skills.

Dewey

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: Wolfpack on April 26, 2011, 07:26:30 AM

The problem with having someone match for you is that we all have a
differant ear, preferences ,and playing skills.

Dewey

Good point. The sound can change A LOT depending on how the striker is held. You can give the same call and striker to two different people and get two different sounds out of it.