turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need a little advice

Started by 1Beaver1, October 16, 2018, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Beaver1

As I previously stated in a previous post, I'm going hunting in the Evant area of Texas. The landowner of the property asked me what dates I'd like to come hunting. Being that I'm not familiar with the area, any advice anyone could offer would be welcome. Of course what I'm asking is what is the best time for that area? Thanks for any assistance

GobbleNut

We have always gone to TX at the start of the season and the birds always seem not quite ready to cooperate in terms of wanting to come to a call.  Our experience has always been that the birds are bunched up in large groups and tend to stay together.  Of course, you can still kill gobblers under those conditions, but it is often by patterning and ambushing rather than your classic "call-'em-in" hunting.

Having spoken to a number of people that have hunted later in the season, they seem to think it is better to hunt later when the large groups have broken up and the gobblers are more willing to explore calling they hear in the distance.  Either way, if you are on a property that has plenty of birds, you will most likely be able to figure out a way to kill them.

Tail Feathers

I'm about 3 hours due East of there.  Our birds are super hot and gobbling like mad in the second week of April.  But I have Easterns here.  Our season opens April 22, way late trying to keep a season and grow the population too.  It opens earlier in Rio country.
I would shoot for April 05-12 date range, leaning toward the earlier dates.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!