turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Son couldn't close the deal

Started by hps, April 25, 2011, 01:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hps

Well long story short took my son out on the youth hunt in IND this past Sat. Birds were hammering on this 60 acre plot we hunt. Bird hits the ground stops gobbling for prolly 20 mins then gobbles and lets us know he's coming, I tell my son get ready and point him in the direction the bird will be coming, hes gobbling every 30-40 sec letting us know where exactly he is. Big tom stops at 25 yds and puts on a show, I make a cluck with the mouth call tom raises his head and I'm tellin the boy "SHOOT,SHOOT,SHOOT my boy moves  slightly bird knows somethings notnd walks back the way he came. This was Sat. we hunted the same place Sun morn, Will this tom be spooked of this area for several days?

bowhunter84

:hello99: :welcomeOG:

as long as he wasn't spooked to bad i'd say he'll be right back in there.

Lon0121

there are plenty more out there,  i jumped birds off the roost too early only to find them back there the next day.  they are instinctive.
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

WyoHunter

Good luck to your and your son. It's all part of the learning experience knowing when and when not to shoot. Now that he has the experience of having a bird come to the call he has a better idea of how to handle the situation. When I was teaching my wife to hunt I did like you and would say "shoot,shoot,shoot" until one day she said shut up and I'll shoot when I'm ready. Just try saying "shoot" once in a calm manner and maybe he'll have a more positive reaction and not feel pressured.  :anim_25:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!