OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Evant Tx

Started by 1Beaver1, September 23, 2018, 10:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Beaver1

I'm new to this site. I'm supposed to go to Evant this spring. I know very little about this area. Wondering if any of y'all know if this area has decent turkey numbers? I'll be hunting private property.

Sir-diealot

:welcomeOG: Sorry I am of no help but good luck.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

That part of TX generally has good turkey numbers.  Of course, it depends on the property, its size, and the habitat that it has, but the property owner should be able to give you an idea of whether or not it holds turkeys,...either regularly or sporadically. 

Important factors in TX:  1) if there are traditional roost sites on the property, 2) whether or not the property owner runs feeders, 3) whether or not the property is cultivated with food crops that attract turkeys. 

LaLongbeard

Texas is feast or famine. The few times I hunted Texas I always watched the hatch in the area 2 years before the hunt. Example 2014 was a bad hatch in the area I hunted 2016 there were very few Gobblers and the ones left were older and more difficult. 2016 was a good hatch and everybody I know got there limit last spring. I'd check the areas hatch from 2017.
And none of this really matters if your sitting over a corn feeder....but then that wouldn't be turkey hunting anyway
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

1Beaver1

This hunting trip is part of a hunt swap. Their half of the swap is coming up in a few weeks so I was just looking for a little insight. They've given me the choice of going to Wyoming or Texas. Both sound great but Texas has always been a dream. Thanks for the responses.

GobbleNut

If Texas has always been your dream then, by all means go there.  Not that it matters, but from my personal perspective, having hunted Rios in Texas numerous times and Merriam's in the mountain states, I would choose Wyoming,...especially if you are looking for that "classic call 'em in strutting and gobbling" hunt. 

You can certainly kill more turkeys in Texas if that is what matters to you, but if aesthetics are important, Wyoming would likely be a better choice,...at least for me based on my experience. 

Either way,...good luck!