OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey call groomsmen gifts

Started by Big Guy, September 21, 2018, 08:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Guy

Well I decided to tie the knot, set for next October but my question is about groomsmen gifts.  All 4 are friends I met through turkey hunting so I want to get them custom turkey calls.  The question is from who.  I want a different maker and different woods for each one.  The question is what makers?  I've decided on Marlin Watkins (if he can get me one in a year, not sure the waiting time) for one and Jeff McKamey for a second.  Leaves 2 more.  Any suggestions?

wvlimbhanger

When I was starting to read through this my initial thought was four from Marlin Watkins.  His wait time is around 4 months so you could do two and two.

With your plan of splitting up the calls with different makers begs the question, do you want four box calls or can you mix it up. 

Jeff is an excellent choice for call #2.

The remaining two calls I'd probably look at Jackie Lea or Preacherman for a box call.

Pots....Dustin Jones or Mac

Another classy call would be a trumpet by Rick Alesandrini

3bailey3

I would get all four from Marlin in different wood combos!

Pooh4459

I would do all marlin to because all your groomsmen are going to want the watkins. If you talk to him he may even be able to make you something special.

MDTOM84

I would definitely go with 4 from Marlin! Just give him a call and tell why you want 4. Maybe get all 4 with Macasser ebony lids and get a butternut, pecan, cedar and a apple for the best man!!!

MissLouHunter

That's an awesome idea, I did the exact same thing about 5 years ago for my groomsmen and ushers.

I had Jeff McKamey make all the calls, left the wood combos up to him. Each call was a different wood combo.

davisd9

If a groomsman drops out just let me know, I will be honored to fill in for them.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on September 21, 2018, 12:26:10 PM
If a groomsman drops out just let me know, I will be honored to fill in for them.
X2 and i'm not that picky , i will take preacherman or Jackie Lee

Sir-diealot

The Preacherman boxcall that was donated for my Pastor was a piece of art, I am a little jealous of it to be honest it was so pretty and sounds great too. That reminds me, I have to go call the maker and thank him before I forget yet again.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on September 21, 2018, 01:45:27 PM
The Preacherman boxcall that was donated for my Pastor was a piece of art, I am a little jealous of it to be honest it was so pretty and sounds great too. That reminds me, I have to go call the maker and thank him before I forget yet again.
I have a Preacherman i will sell you for 125 dollars ....

greencop01

Two more to think about a cedar/walnut from Albert Paul and maybe a chestnut/walnut from Darrin Dawkins. You have a great idea there.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Sir-diealot

@Gregg and Greencop I thank you both very much for the offer but I won't be able to accept at this time. Here is what I just sent to somebody else that offered so that you will understand why I can't.

"I thank you very much for the offer, I lost over $200.00 this month and can't get anything right now, it set me back big time. I have to try to finish 2 deals next month that I had made for this month but wound up losing that money or I would be very interested. If still around in November I would love to talk. Could you email me a pic anyway? "

Thinking on it I may not even bother in November, I have my nephews to get CHRISTmas presents for and still have to get wheels, that is why I have slowed down buying. Again, I do thank you both for the offers. I would love to see them though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Browning87

The real question is, are you looking for another groomsman?!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Browning87 on September 21, 2018, 07:37:57 PM
The real question is, are you looking for another groomsman?!
I was think this myself.

John Koenig:

sixbird

Fetters longbox would be something novel that one or two of them might appreciate.