OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slugs through a modified choke?

Started by aclawrence, January 30, 2019, 02:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYshotgunner

If your read the Brenneke box it will say OK for full choked guns, although a more open choke is preferred. A foster slug can be shot from a full choke barrel, it's very soft lead, I know old timers that have done it for years. My FIL shot them from a Winchester 1400 for over 30 years, 28" barrel, no issue, after he passed my BIL added a saddle mount and scope, the gun cut a clover leaf a 50 yards with Remington's. Main thing is know your gun, a shotgun with foster slugs is like a .22, find what your gun likes...........Williams makes sights that will fit your rib.

The biggest issues you'll have with foster's is leading in the barrel, a deep clean will be needed, being a thimble shape they expand at the base for a snug gas seal. Brenneke slugs are made a bit under size for the bore, they have a wad system to act as a seal, as a result very little leading.........I hunt in counties that require shotgun for the past 58 years.

Your best choice is to go for a rifled tube so you can use Sabots and add sights to the rib.
"Don't go pokin' at it, don't over think it"
NRA Life Member, Veteran

Bowguy

Quote from: roverboy on January 31, 2019, 01:31:59 PM
Here's another idea. Buy a rifled choke tube.
That's not the best idea imo. Not enough rifling

Bowguy

Quote from: NYshotgunner on January 31, 2019, 04:03:08 PM
If your read the Brenneke box it will say OK for full choked guns, although a more open choke is preferred. A foster slug can be shot from a full choke barrel, it's very soft lead, I know old timers that have done it for years. My FIL shot them from a Winchester 1400 for over 30 years, 28" barrel, no issue, after he passed my BIL added a saddle mount and scope, the gun cut a clover leaf a 50 yards with Remington's. Main thing is know your gun, a shotgun with foster slugs is like a .22, find what your gun likes...........Williams makes sights that will fit your rib.

The biggest issues you'll have with foster's is leading in the barrel, a deep clean will be needed, being a thimble shape they expand at the base for a snug gas seal. Brenneke slugs are made a bit under size for the bore, they have a wad system to act as a seal, as a result very little leading.........I hunt in counties that require shotgun for the past 58 years.

Your best choice is to go for a rifled tube so you can use Sabots and add sights to the rib.
If I remember right and I think I do it's not the soft lead that allowed full choke shooting. My understanding was foster slugs were made undersize to pass through full chokes. The soft lead may have added to the usability. Remember when they were popular barrels were fixed chokes and guys weren't changing barrels.
The choke restrictions were commonly tighter too as the shot shells weren't as good (far as tight patterns) it seemed.