OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

off season debate: lead #5 vs #6

Started by mbarnes122578, July 12, 2018, 10:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbarnes122578

Just got to thinking, is there any true hunting advantage to lead #6 over lead #5.  Once upon a time one could make the argument that although lead #5 maintained killing energy at extended ranges (40+ yards), pattern density was marginal at best.  With today's lead loads (long beard xr's) you get great density with #5 at 40+ and plenty of energy.  With lead #6 one would still see great pattern density at 40+ yards but killing energy becomes marginal.  I get that #6 look better on paper when you are counting holes, but is there ever a hunting scenario when #6 will help you harvest a bird when #5 would not assuming we are talking about today's lead ammo (long beard xr)? Thoughts?

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

g8rvet

All the exact right questions.  I got good pattern and numbers with #5 in my SIL shotgun with longbeards. I told him then he should use that over #6.  As long as the pattern is good, more killing power.  Sure, #6 will do the job most of the time, but I wanted him to be confident in a clean kill at 40.

I also went with #5 in my ML until I found a good combo.  Feel very confident at 35 yards with #5.  I played around and mixed #5 HS (had some around) and #5 lead and got an amazing 40 yard pattern with plenty of energy. 

If I could not get the right pattern, I would not hesitate to use lead #6 and just know where my limits are.  There have been so many turkeys taken with #6 lead over the years, it is mighty hard to argue against it.

I use #3 steel for Mallards and Snows, because #2 does not have enough pellets for Mallards and #4 does not have the reach out and touch them for the snow.  I have killed Snows with #4 and Mallards with #2 though.  But #3 seems like the perfect mix for me and my gun. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

2 oz. number 5 is hard to beat.... it will stomp a turkey .... with the right choke ....

jordanz7935

Always been a fan of #5s and #4s in lead myself. Only advantage in #6 i see(using win lb xr) would be more pellets in your overall pattern, ive never even shot a LB #6, but id imagine its a little more forgiving up close and probably has better 20" patterns @ 40 yards due to the increased pellet count of the #6s over the 5s.

BandedSpur

I would prefer 6s in the 20 ga to increase pattern density, making the 20 a bonafide 40 yd gun with lead. Prior to LBs, the 20 was marginal beyond 35 with available lead loads, esp. 5s, due to lack of pattern density.

With the 12 inside 40 yds, it makes not a whit of difference whether you choose 4s, 5s, or 6s. Patterns with any of these are more than sufficient. Beyond 40 yds, I would choose 5s, since they hit the sweet spot with both adequate pattern density and pellet energy. Oh wait, I forgot; no one on this site shoots beyond 40 yds. So why are we talking about LBs again?

1iagobblergetter

If keeping shots 40yds and under why not just shoot #6s??

mbarnes122578

I agree that at 40 yards and in, pick your poison, buy what ever shot size is on sale, #4, #5 or #6.  Dead is dead and no bird will walk through any shot size with a decent pattern inside 40. And of course we would not knowingly shoot past 40 yards.  But for conversation, hypothetically speaking a nice tom is standing still at what you estimate to be 39 yards and not coming any closer, if it turns out you over estimated and he is closer, it doesn't matter what shot size you shoot it will be a clean kill 100% of the time.  If he is exactly what you estimated, it still will not matter the shot size 4, 5 or 6 shot it will be a clean kill 100% of the time (assuming you can shoot straight).  But what if you under estimate distance slightly, it is still a clean kill 100% with #5 shot, not quite as confident with #6 shot.  I understand that there are some very disciplined turkey hunters that will not pull the trigger at a tom past 30 yards and I respect that and think that is awesome.  So at close ranges are #6 shot more forgiving than #5 shot?  I know the long beard xr shoot a very tight pattern at close ranges no matter what the shot size.  Thoughts?

BandedSpur

I doubt the difference in pattern spread is significant with 6s vs 5s at close range.

Turkeytider

I shoot 1 7/8 oz xr Longbeards, # 6 . At the ranges I try to shoot, just trying to put max amount of shot in the pattern downrange.

daddyduke

I like #5 even for short range. Gives me extra insurance when shooting through thick cover.(Which seems to be the norm anymore.)
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

ShootingABN!

I like #5 of standard copper shot. I have used 4, 5, and 6 over the last 30 years. I still use some 5 loads.

I haven't tried TSS. I used Nitro 4x5x7 in 3 and 3.5. Crazy good patterns. Just saying.

Shot whatever your gun and choke likes best go with.

Happy shooting.