turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who cuts n threads

Started by Hooksnhorns, June 23, 2018, 10:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksnhorns

Rem shotgun barrels and goes back with rem choke threads? The ones I know go thread for tru choke threads. I hqve a 28" sm barrel and am thunkin about cuttin it down to 24 or so.
Don't Tread On Me

deadbuck

go to www.shotgunworld.com and in the "gunsmithing" forum you might be able to find someone. I had a barrel done in Tru choke and will never do it again. You will be SEVERELY limited on choke choices. All the gunsmiths tell you that you don't have enough barrel thickness to do factory threads, but in reality I think they just don't have the reamers to do it and they are very expensive to buy.

Yelper

Call and ask -
We also offer you the services of SumToy Custom Barrels for any of your barrel needs. That includes threading barrels, polishing the bores, to lengthening the forcing cones. SumToy Custom Barrels has the capability to build a new custom barrel if you feel you need one.

SumToy Customs
23 Dogwood Extension
Jesup, GA 31545

Phone: (912) 237-4360

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...

Double B

Comp n choke did a good job for me, perfect.   :turkey2:
Followed by buzzards

the Ward

You could also buy an extra barrel for your gun, and keep your 28 in case you want to use it later on for hunting other game. Replacement barrels are reasonably priced, and you can keep the chokes you have.

jordanz7935

Quote from: the Ward on June 24, 2018, 12:06:46 PM
You could also buy an extra barrel for your gun, and keep your 28 in case you want to use it later on for hunting other game. Replacement barrels are reasonably priced, and you can keep the chokes you have.
X2!
Mike Orlen or sumtoy are your best bet for the cut and thread route. But i would just keep a lookout for a deal on a shorter barrel,i believe remington offers  21" or 23" replacement barrels. By the time you pay for the cut&thread + shipping, you'll be $100 into it already though. Id keep the 28" barrel for waterfowl and skeet.

Hooksnhorns

I appreciate the info guys. I have a 23" on it now that I bought as a replacement barrel several yrs ago. But, the 23" barrel has tooling marks in it, even after I've worked on it a good bit. The 28" looks better and I'm just pondering on it. May not make a nickle's worth of difference.
Don't Tread On Me

SumToy

We cut Rem threads in the 12ga.  Now Mike does good work also but I dont know what he threads for in a 12.  I have seen 410 and 20 stuff he did. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SumToy on June 25, 2018, 01:01:46 PM
We cut Rem threads in the 12ga.
Hey William
Have you ever threaded a cylinder bored heavy-barreled H.D. barrel? Those are available and are very inexpensive. They look like they would have enough "meat" to accept Rem-Choke or Win-Choke threads. I have one and can measure it if that would be of help.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

If it is .850 outside it will take Rem/Win threads.  Most of the later model guns will take Rem chokes The older ones will only that the big tru choke.  .795 choke not the 775.   I would not even think about the 775 choke in one. 

Quote from: allaboutshooting on June 25, 2018, 02:19:26 PM
Quote from: SumToy on June 25, 2018, 01:01:46 PM
We cut Rem threads in the 12ga.
Hey William
Have you ever threaded a cylinder bored heavy-barreled H.D. barrel? Those are available and are very inexpensive. They look like they would have enough "meat" to accept Rem-Choke or Win-Choke threads. I have one and can measure it if that would be of help.
Thanks,
Clark
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

I measured mine at the muzzle and its o.d is .891 and i.d. is .734 and it's 20" long.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy