turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What boots for out west? Specifically WY

Started by lowcountry, August 18, 2018, 01:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowcountry

Heading to Wyoming next spring.  Here in SC I wear snake boots.  I'm guessing that I won't need them in Wyoming.   What do you guys wear when you hunt in that pet of the country?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Snakes weren't out of the question where we were at in WY this past spring.  So I wore my Irish Setter Vaprtreks.  But I wear them when I hunt at home, too and there's no bitey snakes here at all.  The Setters are JUST that light and comfy..............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ShootingABN!

Elk hunting in CO, I liked Danner Uplander? All leather boots. Really comfortable to me and 100% waterproof. Uninstalled. Good luck.

fountain2

I wore my lacrosse rubber boots.  You very well could get by with a pair of merrell moab 2.  I have a pair and love them.   They are lightweight and wear well. 

WW

I wore my Danner snake boots when I hunted WY and SD. May not need them but they are comfortable and waterproof if I needed to cross a stream. Beat buying a new pair too.

lowcountry

Guess I'll just roll with my Lacrosse snake boots.  Thanks for the info.

PharmHunter

After a couple of days in my rubber Lacrosse boots climbing etc, I switched to a pair of Salomon trail shoes and my feet appreciated it in the terrain we were hunting.

I would lean more toward something like them or a comfortable, hiking style boot personally.

lowcountry

That's what I was thinking, which is why I asked. 

Thanks.

land cruiser

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes os what I use for my hunts in the West, including WY. Mostly for big game though. I don't do nearly as much hiking around when hunting turkeys, so majority of the time its muck boots

Cove

If you want quality boots that'll last I would highly recommend you look into Crispi boots. The Valdres and the Summits are fantastic boots. If you want something cheaper that will last you through a season or so and maybe climbing will not be a huge obstacle- try a pair of Keen or Merrell hikers. The soles are just not aggressive enough to do a lot of climbing.

stringtown

Quote from: land cruiser on August 20, 2018, 10:36:31 AM
Kenetrek Mountain Extremes os what I use for my hunts in the West, including WY. Mostly for big game though. I don't do nearly as much hiking around when hunting turkeys, so majority of the time its muck boots

What he said. Best boots for out west I've ever used. Comes at a price, but comfortable and last forever.

wvmntnhick

Another vote for Kenetrek. Now, not sure what your terrain will look like so they may not be a necessity. But, they're great boots. Might even find a good used pair somewhere if u look hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaswamp

Quote from: Cove on August 21, 2018, 01:35:49 PM
If you want quality boots that'll last I would highly recommend you look into Crispi boots. The Valdres and the Summits are fantastic boots. If you want something cheaper that will last you through a season or so and maybe climbing will not be a huge obstacle- try a pair of Keen or Merrell hikers. The soles are just not aggressive enough to do a lot of climbing.

I've never hunted out west but Crispi boots are awesome.  I have a pair of the Idaho GTX.  They are unbelievably comfortable and durable.