turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Couple Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 questions

Started by BobWalters, August 23, 2018, 06:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobWalters

I'm going to an home auction in a few weeks and they will be selling off a few guns as well and a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 is on the list to be sold no reserve. Assuming it is camo, has the original chokes, comfortech stock, and is in decent common use but maintained shape what would be a good fair price for it? I see them listed on gunbroker in the 900-1500 range, but realistically what should be the most I should pay for it assuming it's in good and maintained shape just common hunting use? Also I have a browning bps for 3.5" shells and I just bought a brand new Benelli m2 a couple months ago and it only up to this point has one box of shells through it, so I mean technically it's still new though dove season comes in around here in one week with quail and fall turkey and duck and goose soon to follow so shell count will be racking up soon. Comparing the sbe 2 to the m2 other than chamber size will I really be gaining anything as far as reliability, longevity, or an all around better built gun when compared to my m2? If I win the sbe I'll be selling off the m2 as I don't see why I'd need both and I realize I'll be not getting for it what I paid so I'll be losing some money there on the m2. Would anyone here trade a new m2 on a used sbe2 when I already have a 3.5" browning bps shotgun already as well, and I mean technically I don't really feel "under gunned" with 3" shells in the m2, the browning is used really only when I'm in a pump mood or as a loaner.

I guess main questions are what should one realistically pay for an sbe2 and is it a superior gun as far as build quality, parts used, and potential for longevity and overall reliability with proper maintenance  compared to an M2?

J.D. Shellnut

I wouldn't give over a $1000 for it. Ideally around 800 but that's just me. I have no experience with the m2 but I love my sb2 and have had no problems with it whatsoever. I'm pretty rough on guns they are tools to me. I give them what they need but I expect a lot out of them and it has yet to fail.
60% of the time it works every time!

aaron

If you can find an SBE 2 for 8-900 like mentioned above I'd buy 5!   The SBE 1 in fair condition go for that and more

BobWalters

If it checks out I may set a personal limit somewhere around 8 and not go over it. I do like my m2 and if I feel a true need for 3.5 I can always bust out my BPS though I've never shot at something and missed and or failed to kill it thinking it was because I only had a 3" shell.

1iagobblergetter

I'd keep the M2 and if you really think you need the Sbe2 I'd sell the Browning...I have several Benelli Sbe's and they are very reliable,but hate the poa/poi issues ive had with them for turkeys. If you dont mind putting optics on its not an issue or if you get lucky and find the one that happens to shoot straight...
I prefer the M2s anymore,but haven't waterfowl hunted for several years and that's what I mainly loved my Sbe's for. Good luck and if you can buy it right I would.

BobWalters

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on August 24, 2018, 11:54:21 PM
I'd keep the M2 and if you really think you need the Sbe2 I'd sell the Browning...I have several Benelli Sbe's and they are very reliable,but hate the poa/poi issues ive had with them for turkeys. If you dont mind putting optics on its not an issue or if you get lucky and find the one that happens to shoot straight...
I prefer the M2s anymore,but haven't waterfowl hunted for several years and that's what I mainly loved my Sbe's for. Good luck and if you can buy it right I would.

Only thing about dumping the browning is it's a '95 model and I'm atleast the second owner of it and she's got pretty high mileage on her. She still runs perfectly fine but you can look at her and tell she's been around the block quite a lot. I don't or atleast can't imagine that it's worth much and I'd hate to just give away. Granted if I had the sbe I'd prolly never or rarely shoot the browning anymore. It pretty much only gets out now as a loaner gun I'm planning to run the m2 for everything. Got a few buddies who waterfowl and they have 3.5 guns but only run 3's in them honestly don't know anyone who even runs 3.5's for anything.

Tail Feathers

I personally think you have a better gun in the M2.  That SBE is so big I don't care for the handling on em myself.

But if you feel the need to change, I think your plan is sound.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

sasquatch1

The 3.5" shell was built thinking it would compete with the 10ga. Yet it never did, and to me is a waste. I've never used more than a 3" shell and have never had an issue killing anything right on side of buddies with the 3.5"s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jryser

I loved my SBE II so much I got a second one - I gave my first one to a buddy who never shot a turkey with shotgun. Now he's - like me - addicted to bustin heads with shotgun!!  Anyway, I got another brand and it just never felt as good. So second SBE II is ready for fall turkeys!  Like the former post there is absolutely no reason to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. As a matter of fact I roll my own TSS and like the 2 3/4 just as much as the 3. 

Boykin Hollow

I have four SBE 1's, yes I have an addiction problem.  They are great for ducks and geese but I have gone to a M2 now in the 20 gauge to shoot turkeys with.  They do seem to have a POA problem.  Having said that if you are in it between 800-1000 you should be good to go.  I do not like the camo ones because the camo starts looking rough around the edges with some use.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: jryser on August 25, 2018, 06:54:44 PM
I loved my SBE II so much I got a second one - I gave my first one to a buddy who never shot a turkey with shotgun. Now he's - like me - addicted to bustin heads with shotgun!!  Anyway, I got another brand and it just never felt as good. So second SBE II is ready for fall turkeys!  Like the former post there is absolutely no reason to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. As a matter of fact I roll my own TSS and like the 2 3/4 just as much as the 3. 

I was a BIG SBE fan,but keep scaling down. Thinking for deer and turkey going M2 20g starting this fall possibly. I usually get a free gun about every year or so using my Cabelas visa points and the M2 20g is going to be next. Last year was a M2 12g Deer for my son.

jryser

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on August 25, 2018, 07:56:09 PM
Quote from: jryser on August 25, 2018, 06:54:44 PM

I was a BIG SBE fan,but keep scaling down. Thinking for deer and turkey going M2 20g starting this fall possibly. I usually get a free gun about every year or so using my Cabelas visa points and the M2 20g is going to be next.
You won't be disappointed!!!  I also have the Ultralight 28 Benelli and that is a favorite in my collection for turkeys now!