OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question for tomorrow's hunt

Started by Hoss, April 23, 2011, 09:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoss

Anyways, tonight I was setting up the blind and all that good stuff in a bottom to see if i couldnt catch a stud Tom i saw a couple of weekends ago. On my way out of this field I spooked a bird(s). I didnt see them, but i heard them turn, run, and putt. I kicked myself the whole way home, as my success has been pitiful this far into the season.

The Hoss had 7 hens with him last time I saw him, and he dissapeared for awhile, and after catching a trespasser I believe some birds are coming back to there.

Is there any chance that they still roosted there and will be in that field in the morning? Or should I set up somewhere else?

Feel free to ask questions, thanks!

WyoHunter

If it was me I'd stick to the plan and see what happens.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Hootowl

Stick with the plan. Heck he might even have the Easter Bunny In toe? Just Kidding some I would hit the blind and set till 10am maybe a little later that move. Are they roosting there or  close by, Maybe 150 yards Or do you know?

Hoot

Hoss

Im hoping the easter bunny will bring me a little luck!  :icon_thumright:

Heres a pic to get a better idea of the field.

The only thing about sitting in the blind that long is there is two very steep hills bordering the east and south sides. I havent seen birds just travel through it after strutting after fly down, but i havent looked much!

The blue lines are creeks, the red circled area is about were they roosted a couple weeks ago.

Lon0121

get in that field by the roost son!!! :you_rock: :z-guntootsmiley:
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

mightyjoeyoung

I'd be in that field close to the roost about 45 minutes before it even hinted at daylight (pitch black) and be there till late morning.  Maybe at about the 2 oclock position to where you have the roost marked on the field edge with a sub-dominant jake decoy and a couple hens deeks (the "love triangle").  What about that nice little open area at the top of the ridge to what I am assuming is to the east of the roost area?  Could be fruitfull later in the day as the birds feed around and the hens start going to nest???
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Hoss

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 24, 2011, 08:41:17 AM
I'd be in that field close to the roost about 45 minutes before it even hinted at daylight (pitch black) and be there till late morning.  Maybe at about the 2 oclock position to where you have the roost marked on the field edge with a sub-dominant jake decoy and a couple hens deeks (the "love triangle").  What about that nice little open area at the top of the ridge to what I am assuming is to the east of the roost area?  Could be fruitfull later in the day as the birds feed around and the hens start going to nest???

I got there way too late. That area up on that ridge would have been a good choice, because thats where most of the birds roosted. Only 1 hen roosted where I had circled. Im guessing its because I spooked them last night.

Heres the new map with where im guessing things are. And there are also no trees in that field now, just 3 big brush piles.

Red arrow is where the majority of the group actually roosted, and where I believe the boss did. Yellow is my travel route in. Red with pink is where that lone hen roosted then left the field pretty quick. Purple is about where the blind is

mightyjoeyoung

Looks like a reasonably good set up then!  Only factor I could see is timing.  That and maybe get up to that opening to the east of the roost and try a set up there?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Hoss

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 24, 2011, 12:17:35 PM
Looks like a reasonably good set up then!  Only factor I could see is timing.  That and maybe get up to that opening to the east of the roost and try a set up there?

I think Ill get out early, around 4:30, to roost them, sit in the blind, take a nap, and see if they fly up in the bottom with me or up on top of that ridge again. After they got down this morning, they headed east somewhere, so I believe I will setup in that clearing if they roost up there.

tactikel

Hoss, excellent post! Thanks for your work to illustrate the area and to map out the birds, creek, and roosts. It would be really helpful for newbies (like me) to learn from sucessful hunters how to setup and hunt varied situations. I hope you nail that boss gobbler!  :anim_25:

mmusso

Before even reading all of the posts, I was going to suggest setting up on that point near where I see you have your blind now. That's where I would be...
:anim_25: and let us know how it goes...