OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Top 5 box call makers that still make calls

Started by Spitten and drummen, June 09, 2018, 02:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris O

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 14, 2018, 08:04:43 PM
The best box call is the one that sounds the best to YOUR ears and you play the best.  That confidence factor added to ease of play is what calls in birds.  I could name fifty talented box call makers but hype doesn't call turkeys to the gun.  An average call will work if you know what to say and when to say it. 
All the names mentioned are great ones.
I agree 100%, Most people could get the job done with a lot cheaper calls but there is something special about a great looking custom call also. Custom calls keep me playing turkey calls year round now. I used to only get the calls out a couple of days before season.

callmakerman

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 14, 2018, 08:04:43 PM
The best box call is the one that sounds the best to YOUR ears and you play the best.  That confidence factor added to ease of play is what calls in birds.  I could name fifty talented box call makers but hype doesn't call turkeys to the gun.  An average call will work if you know what to say and when to say it. 
All the names mentioned are great ones.
Well said. I have a friend who killed his biggest bird ever using a sawn and glued box he made over 10 years ago. No magic calls just what a gobbler wants to hear at that point in time.

jryser

Quote from: jryser on June 14, 2018, 08:16:09 AM
Quote from: hunter22 on June 14, 2018, 07:26:33 AM
Quote from: Pooh4459 on June 14, 2018, 04:08:53 AM
Cant believe ed terenfenko only made one list. Is his boxes not as good as the other guys? Never had one but curious

Ed T is in my top five. One of the best in my opinion.
Ed's box calls have led to more turkey kills for me than any other box, and I have a variety of "name" boxes. The only box call in my vest last year was my ET

It's my screensaver in my studio!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to check which woods I have - I asked Ed to make both calls to specs he would want in his vest. I also had him make one for my son in law Troy and my best turkey hunting pal, Greg Clements.

jryser

Quote from: Happy hooker on June 14, 2018, 05:12:13 PM
Jryser

What wood combination of his do you have
Canarywood and butternut 2011

Yellowwood and Black Limba 2015

ridgerunner

You guys left out Josh Farley. One of the best sounding box calls i own.

TauntoHawk

I do not own enough boxes to make 100% informed decision, guys send me your box calls I will run them all and then make my list.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

va longbeard

Quote from: TauntoHawk on June 20, 2018, 04:15:06 PM
I do not own enough boxes to make 100% informed decision, guys send me your box calls I will run them all and then make my list.

Send me your Corder and Platz calls and I have a couple I will send you! :angry9:

Spitten and drummen

Its no doubt that a cheap production call will call in birds. Thats not why i started the thread. Most here have hunted long enough to know that the operator is what makes the call effective. I started this thread to list favorite box call makers , not be giving a sermon on what the turkey wants to hear , there are no holy grail box call and on and on. Its about custom box call makers who seem to turn out consistent and great sounding calls. Please continue with your top 5 favorite box call makers. Thanks guys.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

vt35mag

Here's my list, but I have never owned/played a Hudson, Mann, Dawkins, Basehore, Williams, or Lapp.
Man... I am missing out on some good ones.

Watkins
Paul
McKamey
Whitt
Shoemaker

TauntoHawk

Quote from: va longbeard on June 20, 2018, 07:06:14 PM

Send me your Corder and Platz calls and I have a couple I will send you! :angry9:
I'll send you ALL of the zero Corder and platz calls I own
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

va longbeard

Quote from: TauntoHawk on June 21, 2018, 12:49:06 PM
Quote from: va longbeard on June 20, 2018, 07:06:14 PM

I'll send you ALL of the zero Corder and platz calls I own

Thanks I will pass on that one!

Clovis67

Albert Paul
Marlin Watkins
Lamar Williams
Mike Lapp
Jeff McKamey

ridgerunner

Josh Farley
Matt Van Cise
Bob Fulcher
Al Shoemaker
Jody Harrison

2nd 100

Lamar Williams
Marlin Watkins
Albert Paul
Darrin Dawkins
Bob Harwell

Long and short boxes from any of the top four
will get the job done. I Just can't get a long box
from Mr Bob Harwell .

davisd9

If you do not have a box from Wendell Lancaster then you are missing out.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer