turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Should I stay or should I go Military?

Started by Hunt4spurs87, July 09, 2018, 04:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunt4spurs87

I've spent the last 8 years of my life Active Duty Army Infantry at Ft Bragg NC as a paratrooper and while I have had some unforgettable and absolutely amazing experience  AT times a part of me I feel is at a fork in the road. My wife and I have been married for almost 2 years now, and she is one tough woman I cannot thank her enough for her love and support through Deployments training etc. As we talk about having children in the near future I feel as if I've put her through hell already and I'm wondering if enough is enough. I reclassed to 15T Blackhawk mechanic it's only a 2 year obligation I feel like after that time is up should I stay or should I go????? I owe it to my wife and future kids I feel like to be there as they grow up. Can someone with more experience than me give any advice here I'm 30 years old now and while that is still young it does weigh in on my decision making ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzardroost

I made the decision to go at 9 years. I don't regret it. I make a lot more in the real world than in the military and don't have to deal with so many retards.

Hunt4spurs87

Quote from: buzzardroost on July 09, 2018, 04:06:48 PM
I made the decision to go at 9 years. I don't regret it. I make a lot more in the real world than in the military and don't have to deal with so many retards.

I feel ya there brother

ShootingABN!

Front leaning rest position move! ABN ATW!

First Thanks you for your service my Airborne Brother!

So the soul searching is totally on you and your wife's shoulders. Lot's of time praying and giving it to God is a start.

My story? I Love the Army. Five years active 94-99. ACAP and contract with Army Reserves. Drill Sergeant program. Loved it. It's growing pains because sometimes there's really bad Soldiers in the Reserves that give us all a bad rap. Made it through the ranks. SFC 05/06 in Iraq, 1SG 10/11 Ft Benning BCT, then BN CSM.. I loved working with Soldiers. As a Reservist I had my CIV job and loved the Military. However the Army was my mistress. My first mariage suffered from it. I spent a lot of time from home with the Combatives programs.

So if you are thinking about getting out? Two years out... Start looking at where you are going to relocate, and jobs. Start your networking know. Everyone and anyone you know for civ jobs.

You came in around 2010? During my BCT 1SG breif within the first 72 hrs. I asked how many had degrees. 2 year/ 4 year and masters. Most had at least some college some even had Masters.... Why where they in BCT? Because they couldn't or didn't get a job. Why they came in as enlisted that is another question right?

PM me and I'll give you my Cell. I'll be glad to talk to you.

Keep you feet an knees together and prepare to land ABN!

1iagobblergetter

I think if it is weighing on you enough to ask your decision is basically made and you are looking for reassurance.
I personally wouldn't want to miss probably all the firsts with children that you might have to. If you have a good wife i wouldnt want to be away from her. I also wouldn't want my life in someone else's hands if that makes sense.
I commend the guys that give up everything they do being in the military. I couldnt do it unless i was drafted. Thank you for your service and ask God for a little help in your decision..

Crghss

I served 7 years in the Navy, Electronic Technicain 2nd class when discharged. I got the opportunity to use computers (configure/install) in the last fews which led to me getting a 2 yr degree in IT when I got out using the GI bill. Employment hasn't been a problem for me.

One of the most disappointing thing I see with Vet's is they get out with no civilian skills sets so no employment. Have a plan and be honest with yourself. You need an education and/or skill set that pays a living wage. It astonishes me when I hear that over 50% of families make less then 50K a year.

Somethings to think about.....

Transferring to the Coast Guard? No long overseas deployments mostly stationed in the USA. Just something to think about/research. 

If you decide to get out think about the Reserves. My biggest regret is not staying in the Reserves.......10 years is not a long time. I'm 53 and looking at retirement. The main factor in not retiring at 62 is health care cost. I probably will any how but health care is a major concern. What if I get sick at 55, 62 or 70? It'll cost me 10's of thousand for a major illness if not more (my dad pays $1000 for a pill he takes once a month). What if I live to 90, I'll spend $100's of thousands of dollars over that time. And I'll have a pension from the electric company I work for.....what if I didn't? 

Government job? You can apply your service time to gov't job. Very tough to get and degree is almost required. Start looking NOW! Start applying before you get out.

If you have any questions contact me........
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

squidd

Thanks for your service and time flies!  12 more years will fly by as fast as the first eight and your career can take many paths to include greater challenges as you advance. 

Just serving is more than what a few % of the population can say they did!

It'll be tough, but get your education while you're still in an Active or Reserve status.  Most bases have a ton of resources and colleges give credit for your MOS/schools/rank/etc...  CLEPs are free and usually transfer for free.  I was paid extra from VA for going to school while in reserves. 

6-Active/22-Reserve years in USN for me as a GSEC/CWO4/O-3E and now will have medical/$$$$ at 58-1/4.  Shoot, quit working on the helos and start flying them as a Warrant!!

pabossie255

Not in the service but can tell you as a father you will miss a lot if your not there and you will regret it.

Greg Massey

My son is in service , and with his wife and 3 kids , lives on military base , and they love it ....

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on July 09, 2018, 06:03:27 PM
I think if it is weighing on you enough to ask your decision is basically made and you are looking for reassurance.
I personally wouldn't want to miss probably all the firsts with children that you might have to. If you have a good wife i wouldnt want to be away from her. I also wouldn't want my life in someone else's hands if that makes sense.
I commend the guys that give up everything they do being in the military. I couldnt do it unless i was drafted. Thank you for your service and ask God for a little help in your decision..

X2
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

TM

Have a plan or career goals before u get out.  Take advantage of all educational opportunities.  How is your family set for insurance coverage?  Have u looked for a government job?

chcltlabz

Ultimately, the decision is for you and your family to make.  Take input, but the decision has to be yours, and it is a life-long decision.  Also, not every assignment is like the 82nd/18th ABC.  The OPTEMPO there is like just about nowhere else.

You've gotten some sound advice.  Get your education and have a plan for afterward.  Take a hard look at all the benefits you will be losing and do a long hard comparison to what you would make on the outside.  I believe they still do the "civilian pay comparison" which everyone thinks is a joke while they're in, but believe me, its not!

I made the choice to leave after 5 years, and I don't regret my decision, but I always think about it, especially since I would now be retirement eligible if I had stayed.  I eventually got into a government job, but it is not easy and is getting harder all the time.  Army civilian would be a logical transition, but they are dead set on reducing the number of civilians, and government employees across the board. 

Here are a few things you need to consider in your decision:

Education benefits for yourself and your family, to include children.  Spouse and children benefits of military members and retirees are everywhere.

Healthcare.  You will pay for it everywhere else, and if you stick it out, you will have healthcare for life, and not just at the VA.  Tricare isn't great, but it ain't bad either, especially for the price.

Housing benefits.  Even if you live off-post, they still pay at least a portion of that.  You won't get that anywhere else, and locations with jobs often have very expensive housing costs.

Clothing.  I guarantee you would underestimate what it will cost for work clothes, especially when you're not wearing the same thing every day, and as enlisted, you get a clothing allowance.

Gym membership.  Outside of PT, you and your family have free access to some of the best gyms out there for free.  Same thing will cost you a pretty penny on the outside.

Childcare/education for military is a great deal and pretty darn good.

Spousal employment.  The only place your wife will have priority for employment because of you, and have the rights to transfer along with you.

First and foremost, RETIREMENT CHECK!!!  Almost no jobs have a pension anymore, and the ones that do are going down all the time.  If you retire, you have a guaranteed income stream that won't let you live on it, but sure pays for a lot of things.  Imagine the hunting trips you could take with all that extra money...  You can always get another job, and even with a civilian career, you will get paid and your retirement check. 

With 8 years in and 2 more in commitment, you're half way to retirement, and while that is transferable to a civilian position, that isn't free.  You will pay all the interest on 10 years. 
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.