turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

gobbler question

Started by Lon0121, April 23, 2011, 09:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

during the beginning of the turkey season alot of people notice the gobblers are hung up and tight lipped.  In the middle of the season or "later into the season" do they get easier to call or respond to calling more?.
:newmascot:
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

mightyjoeyoung

They should...to a degree.  As more and more hens are bred and finish their clutches of eggs (12-16?)  the gobblers should get easier to hunt...should.  Nothing is ever set in stone when turkey hunting though!  Amazing how a bird with a brain the size of a hazle nut can frustrate the bejesus out of you isn't it?!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Lon0121 on April 23, 2011, 09:02:43 PM
during the beginning of the turkey season alot of people notice the gobblers are hung up and tight lipped.  In the middle of the season or "later into the season" do they get easier to call or respond to calling more?.
:newmascot:
They do once the hens go off to nest,but after awhile it goes the other way.

Cutt

True in a sense, as the season goes on they lose more and more hens, making them more vulerable to calling. Although in areas with a lot of pressure, early season birds are easier to take, but the challenge is finding the right bird, as many are preocuppied with hens. But there are many satellite gobblers without hens, mostly 2 year olds.