OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Not exactly sure what I have here.............

Started by Yoder409, May 31, 2018, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

I recently picked up a box call and I've never seen one like it before.

It is a Turpin-style box.  The lid looks to be either mahogany or cherry.  Hard for me to tell, exactly, due to the way the grain is sawn.  The box could be cherry........the end grain is open enough to be.  But not sure. 

It came in a cardboard box with a woodgrain contact paper covering.  There is an instruction paper (not sure if there should have been more or not) that says "by Tom Turpin" on the top.

No markings of address or manufacturer on the call, the box or the instructions..........

Anyone have any idea as to the origins of this call ??

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Looks like a Turpin family predecessor to Roger Latham's True Tone.  He bought the rights to the Tom Turpin calls.

doublespurs21

the paddle looks like breech.  I have one made by steve back in 2005 and the grain pattern is petty close to yours,

Yoder409

That was kinda my thoughts, but................

I only live a little ways from where the original Penn's Woods company was.  I knew they had bought the Turpin rights.  But the only ones I knew of them to do were either "True Tone" or "Roger Latham True Tone" calls, both of which were highly adorned with gold screen printing.

This one had/has me puzzled.
PA elitist since 1979

CMBOSTC

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on May 31, 2018, 02:10:42 PM
Looks like a Turpin family predecessor to Roger Latham's True Tone.  He bought the rights to the Tom Turpin calls.

Now that you say that, I would have to agree with you. It does look like a True Tone.

Yoder409

Quote from: doublespurs21 on May 31, 2018, 02:18:14 PM
the paddle looks like breech.  I have one made by steve back in 2005 and the grain pattern is petty close to yours,

The paddle very well could be beech.  But the accompanying box and instruction paper appear to date quite a great deal before 2005.....................
PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

doublespurs21

on my roger latham true tone,  the front of the paddle looks just like your (when the screw is). the small little angle cut on the edge. on my turpin , that small angle cut is not there.also the turpin measures at 8 1/8 long and the latham is 73/4 inches long.

Yoder409

OK......................

Found a number and just spent a VERY enjoyable bit of time on the phone with Mr. Steve Turpin.  What a SUPER nice fellow !!!!!

He said, "It is my opinion................"   that the call I have is an actual Roger Latham made predecessor to the Penn's Woods made True-Tone and Roger Latham True Tone boxes.   Either mad just prior to, during, or just after Penns Woods purchase of all the Roger Latham and Tom Turpin name rights.

Mr. Turpin said that the paddle is beech and he's not sure what the box is hewn from.

PA elitist since 1979

CMBOSTC

Good stuff, I was just going to send you his phone number. I wouldn't have guessed Beech though.

Yoder409

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on May 31, 2018, 03:23:54 PM
Good stuff, I was just going to send you his phone number. I wouldn't have guessed Beech though.

Thank you so much for tossing me that lead....................

MUCH APPRECIATED !!!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

CMBOSTC

No problem, I had read that Steve gets this kind of stuff a lot.

Yoder409

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on May 31, 2018, 03:47:21 PM
No problem, I had read that Steve gets this kind of stuff a lot.

He is a very gracious man and loves to talk turkey !!

A JOY !!!!
PA elitist since 1979