Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what is the purpose and advantages of a one-sided box?

Started by Marc_Stokeld, May 31, 2018, 11:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc_Stokeld

why do folks get a one-sided box made? there has to be some sort of advantage to them. to a relatively new guy like me they seem to have a disadvantage when compared to a typical short box.

thanks!

wvmntnhick

Advantage? I see none personally other than the fact that one can get ver proficient with only having one side to run. A two sided box can obviously have more feathers in it but the opposing sides will often times require different angles and varying pressures to get the sound one desires. With a one sided box, that diminishes drastically. Used to have a primos box cutter. It's a one sided box and I swear if I could find where I put it, I'd never use another box again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Don't know as there's much advantage other than what WV mentioned................ease of operation and a shorter learning curve.

That being said............ Pretty much all of the one-siders I have are really good sounding calls......... HS Field Champion, Quaker Boy Little One-Sider, Cody Holei, Primos Box Cutter, Wayne Carlton one-sider..........   I have or would take ANY of them to the woods as my only box.

A lot of the production calls (one side or two) will likely benefit fron a few minutes' tuning session.  When they're making them 1000 or more at a clip, there's often some fine tuning to still be done AFTER the call leaves the factory.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Matt k

Call darrin Dawkins and have him run his new style

Chris O

I find that I generally only play one side of a box most of the time anyway.I do play them a couple different ways so it switches sides depending on how I play the box. If I hold the box in my left hand and hold it flat and pull the paddle from right to left then a one sided box is all I really need. Other times I hold them vertical box in right hand and paddle in left and pull the box towards me. I could play a one sider  this way by switching hands or by pushing the box away from me, but it would take some getting used to. I usually like one side of the boxes sound better than the other anyway.