OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I just couldn't do it!!!

Started by Happy hooker, May 31, 2018, 11:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksfan

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 31, 2018, 12:11:17 PM
There's nothing wrong with letting a bird walk.  I've done it many a time over the years, but never on the last day of the season with an unfilled tag.  If a guy feels better about not pulling the trigger in a given situation, good for them. :icon_thumright:

...However, your post suggests that you didn't shoot that gobbler because you felt that somehow his existence was the key to future turkey numbers in that particular spot.  If that is what you were thinking, you might as well have gone ahead and pulled the trigger. 

Spring gobbler hunting is based entirely on the premise that, if you time the season properly so that the hens are bred before you start shooting the gobblers, the male segment of the population is expendable.  Despite your noble intentions, allowing that one gobbler to live will have absolutely no impact on your turkey numbers there. 

Of course, if he makes it through another year, he will be there for you to consider shooting next spring, but that is the only difference your decision not to shoot him this spring has made.  Again, nothing wrong with that, but don't confuse benevolence with benefit.   :)

Best post on here. Whatever makes you happy is my reply. I would have pulled the trigger, myself.
But, I also don't buy into the "I have reached Turkey nirvana status by evolving through the 'stages of hunter development' " argument either.  Almost as big a turn off as the incessant number touters.
It's a Turkey. They were put here to kill. If one allows me to ethically get within shotgun range, he has disgraced himself as a Turkey and needs to die.  :z-guntootsmiley:

High plains drifter

There was one i could have passed on this year.I had some big studs scouted, maybe i should have waited for them.I took the first bird to cime in.Good bird, but not epic.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Hooksfan on June 01, 2018, 03:49:02 PM
It's a Turkey. They were put here to kill. If one allows me to ethically get within shotgun range, he has disgraced himself as a Turkey and needs to die.  :z-guntootsmiley:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: Now that's just plain funny!  Good one!  :laugh:

turkeyfoot

Couple things do you just like them baked better was wondering why spend that long cleaning a bird unless its your preference.  I'm done in less than 15 min. Taking breast legs and thighs. 2nd saving that one gobbler didn't help your population any those hens would have got bred by another he was not needed for the job. I have let smaller birds walk but last day and I call him in on good setup he's getting ride home in truck

Farmboy27

I guess I just never figured out the whole "feeling bad for something that you're trying to kill" thing. I've felt bad for things I've had to kill over the years but never felt remorse for those that I was actually hunting and trying to kill. If I'm not gonna kill it given the chance, I sure as heck ain't gonna weigh myself down with a gun!  Photography is always an option.

LaLongbeard

Tom Kelly wrote of this very thing in Tenth Legion which most turkey hunters have read ,or should read.
There's no way to explain it to someone who doesn't understand just like I will never understand why some people will do anything legal/illegal ethical or not to kill a Gobbler. I've always thought of these people as mouth breathing idiots which they are ....but I also think they have missed out on what makes turkey hunting special to some.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Farmboy27

Quote from: Phillipshunt on June 01, 2018, 09:11:28 PM
Tom Kelly wrote of this very thing in Tenth Legion which most turkey hunters have read ,or should read.
There's no way to explain it to someone who doesn't understand just like I will never understand why some people will do anything legal/illegal ethical or not to kill a Gobbler. I've always thought of these people as mouth breathing idiots which they are ....but I also think they have missed out on what makes turkey hunting special to some.
Lol. I really never understood how tom Kelly became the undisputed authority on turkey hunting!  I could write 50 books on the subject, making up stories as I go.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Farmboy27 on June 01, 2018, 09:26:22 PM
Lol. I really never understood how tom Kelly became the undisputed authority on turkey hunting!  I could write 50 books on the subject, making up stories as I go.

Thanks for posting a perfect example of the point I was making. And from your other posts  looks like you'd have to make them hunting stories up killing one gobbler a year wouldn't be much of a book lol.

Hooksfan

Quote from: Phillipshunt on June 02, 2018, 09:46:26 AM

Thanks for posting a perfect example of the point I was making. And from your other posts  looks like you'd have to make them hunting stories up killing one gobbler a year wouldn't be much of a book lol.

I find quite a bit of irony in how you start off by touting the virtues of letting a gobbler walk by invoking no less an authority than Tom Kelly, and end with a narcissistic taunt of a fellow Turkey hunter for killing only one gobbler a year. Wonder what ole Tom Kelly would think of that?

Turkeyhunter

Without getting philosophical about it, it's your call in the woods. That s one of the many things I like about turkey hunting, and hunting in general. You are in control of what you do or don't and why you let a gobbler walk or not is about you. Some might let a small buck go and others won't. Their call in the woods. Very noble thoughts but as one said, won't make a difference in the numbers. Maybe so. But in the end, you have to do what you think is right based on your values and thoughts about it. Doesn't make anyone a lesser person because you did and they didn't and I know that wasn't your platform. My judgements in the woods are the ones I have to sleep with. If it's legal and you want to do it, do it. I would have shot him personally but in your opinion you did the right thing, then you did. Guess I did get philosophical after all, didn't I? Just my opinion.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Hooksfan on June 02, 2018, 10:38:43 AM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on June 02, 2018, 09:46:26 AM

I find quite a bit of irony in how you start off by touting the virtues of letting a gobbler walk by invoking no less an authority than Tom Kelly, and end with a narcissistic taunt of a fellow Turkey hunter for killing only one gobbler a year. Wonder what ole Tom Kelly would think of that?
Why don't you call him an ask him what he thinks.
Never said anything about virtues in turkey hunting you just think I did, that's your mistake. And yes if you barley kill one gobbler a year I doubt you'd have an opinion on letting one walk lol.

High plains drifter

Ok , this is my opinion.Sometimes you should not shoot.Ive seen these boneheads on tv, wound birds.You should not shoot, if it isn't clear, and reasonably close. If you scouted a 30 pounder, don't shoot a 18 pounder. Don't shoot a bird near a house, or cattle.

Marc

Quote from: High plains drifter on June 02, 2018, 12:21:12 PM
Ok , this is my opinion.Sometimes you should not shoot.Ive seen these boneheads on tv, wound birds.You should not shoot, if it isn't clear, and reasonably close. If you scouted a 30 pounder, don't shoot a 18 pounder. Don't shoot a bird near a house, or cattle.
There are a number of ethical and safety reasons that a hunter might take to not shoot...  Safety reasons should go without saying.  Ethics are personal.

Last season with an opportunity to goose hunt, the owner explained how I could sneak up on the geese and kill a bunch...  I explained to him that this is not a fun method for me, and that I prefer to call them in, and have them work into a decoy spread...

He looked at me sideways (as if I were crazy). Knowing he was a golfer, I asked him if he would enjoy playing a perfect round of golf at Pebble Beach by hand-dropping the ball in each hole?  He got it then.

The only bird I will shoot "not in flight" is a turkey...  I prefer to call in waterfowl to a decoy spread as opposed to jump shooting (a very personal preference)...  I far prefer to hunt quail and pheasants over my own dog.  Quail, pheasants, dove, and waterfowl have to be in flight for me to have any desire to shoot.

Turkeys...  I have to feel I fooled them...  Or at least outsmarted them in some manner.  Last year, walking back to my truck, I rounded a bend, and there were 4 turkeys (with a good long-beard).  I instinctively mounted the gun, and was ready to shoot...  They hesitated long enough that I could have taken an easy shot, but it would have been a hollow victory, (as I basically "dumbed into them") and they got a pass.  I suppose for turkeys, I need to shoot them on my terms, and that is part of what makes it fun for me...  I suppose everyone on here has slightly different personal terms.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dirtnap

Boy, you can really tell turkey season is over now with the contents of this thread.

eggshell

I will put this very simply......I would have killed him, but every shot is a choice and you exercised you God and law given choice, hooray for you

I find all the reasoning in replies as simply personal preferences also. I wonder if you felt you had to qualify your choice by making it a biological reasoning? If you truly felt this way then good for you, but I believe like Gobblenut, your view is in error and there is no biological reason to pass. You do not have to explain why you passed, because of peer pressure. Just say my hunt was fulfilled and I chose to give him grace.

Turkey hunting is a quest and a game. The law sets the game rules and the object is to win. Winning is finishing and doing it well by the rules. The reward is personal satisfaction and meat to eat or even a trophy on the wall. I would not play a game of football or any sport and not keep score. I am not a fan of participation trophies either. with that said if participation is all you are after then may you be blessed with a lot of it.

After 45 years I still hunt with the objective of killing a gobbler and filling my tags with what I want ( a well worked gobbler) is how i keep score. Numbers do not matter, I do not even tell others what I bag unless they want to know or I am in a hunters group who respect my game. I do not stop at the local sporting goods for pictures, but I also have no fault with those who do.....it's the part of the game they play for.

Most of all I don't care for those who randomly want to refer to people as idiots because they simply share a different view of the game. I have never read Tom Kelly and have zero desire to. My standard is within what I read in the law and what is basic honor of doing what I would want others to do towards me. I have zero tolerance for lawbreaking and poaching....the game laws are written to insure a species' survival and that is the standard. If it excites a hunter to kill a gobbler he happens on and they are excited to take it home and enjoy it......wonderful, he has done nothing wrong.

So I accept that some would see me as an idiot and slob, but I think most of you would be happy to share the same woods with me. I would honor your position and move on if I knew you were on a bird, I would be sure of my target before I shoot and if we crossed paths I would even tell you were you could find a bird and as we parted I would wish you good luck and mean it.