OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what is a hen box?i

Started by Marc_Stokeld, May 30, 2018, 01:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc_Stokeld

on some of the makers' sites is see a "hen box" call listed as a seperate call. what is that and how is it different from a "regular" box call?

Marc_Stokeld

BTW - i know many other folks new to turkey hunting are wondering the same thing.

Coop1082

A turkey killing machine....It's loosely similar to a Turpin Style box but totally different at the same time if that makes any sense? Some makers that make them are Richard Hudson, Matt Fulkerson, Doug Morgan etc. it's a totally different design then a standard Cost style box call. A quick search on this forum will pull up plenty of pictures of what they look like (they are gorgeous). They are stuffed full of multiple different sounding turkeys and I ran them pretty exclusively this season with great response.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

JonD.

Quote from: Marc_Stokeld on May 30, 2018, 01:37:26 PM
on some of the makers' sites is see a "hen box" call listed as a seperate call. what is that and how is it different from a "regular" box call?
I asked the exact same question a few days ago. Here is a link to a thread in which some of the great members here answered for me: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,83806.0.html
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

JonD.

Quote from: JonD. on May 30, 2018, 06:55:50 PM
Quote from: Marc_Stokeld on May 30, 2018, 01:37:26 PM
I asked the exact same question a few days ago. Here is a link to a thread in which some of the great members here answered for me: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,83806.0.html

I just now realized that you were the one that started the thread I linked to. LOL
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

gergg

I've made a few myself and think they are my favorite box call, even though I don't hunt with them....lol....They have a unique raspy yawk to them, but can be played cleanly too depending on where/how you run the lid. I personally think they are really easy to play and I'm sure they would be turkey killers, just rarely taken one to the woods.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Chris O

Sweet looking box Chris!!! Most of the hen boxes I have seen are short and tall with no spring on the lid like a conventional short box. Do Turpin style boxes have a spring on the lid or no spring? Thanks

Marc_Stokeld

so is a hen box just a very deep call that is made from a solid piece of wood?

no one has come out and described/stated the things that make a hen box, a hen box.

Chris O

Quote from: Marc_Stokeld on May 31, 2018, 08:33:11 PM
so is a hen box just a very deep call that is made from a solid piece of wood?

no one has come out and described/stated the things that make a hen box, a hen box.
Check out sbbow post on turkey call forum just a few spaces below it says new hen box . That is the style of most of them I believe and that one is an awesome call

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TheBigSnood

Two distinct characteristics in a hen box. Hewn from a solid piece of wood (with a handle), and having a deeper channel with straight rails for the distinct yawk at the endof the yelp. 

There are two different conversations going on here at the same time.  What is a henbox, and what makes a turpin style box.

Chris,
I respectively disagree that your posted picture is a hen box due to it not having a handle! That box (in its beauty) favors the turpin style box call. Which leads me to my next point. I have never seen a turpin style box ( in its history, Tom turpin, Roger Latham, ) with a spring under the lid.  The lack of spring is what gives it so much flexibility an versatility with the paddle. You can have a whole different range and options with the paddle.  Their are many different hen box call makers who carry little differences between all of them, but the characteristics above, is what makes a henbox a henbox. Feel free to give me a call to discuss. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

M Sharpe

To be a true Turpin box, it has to be made by a Turpin!! All the rest are Turpin styled boxes. Richard doesn't call his, Turpin hen boxes. He calls them Hudson hen boxes! His and Turpin's look nothing alike. From there it is just as Matt described.
One of the best playing calls I've ever owned!! Several folks are getting into making them now. Richard Hudson, Matt Faulkerson, Russell Beard and Dan Harris....not to mention the original Turpin hen box, Steve Turpin!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

strutnrut

My Hen Boxes are made from a single block of wood with a hand sanded handle. The side of the box are straight , even though they are tapered from front to back during tuning. There is no spring adding back pressure on the lid. The lid has a distinctive radius, this radius along with not spring allows the caller to manipulate the playability. Using pressure and tension this style of call has the ability to add feelings into the call.
I have been told by guys with a True Turpin box that my calls are a cross. It's not a Cox nor a Turpin. I have played both and I will concur with that statement. All calls with the exception of Steve Turpin's call are only a style or styled after the Old Masters. All i can build is Hen Box style or a short Turpin style box without a handle.

sbbow

You just heard from 2 of the best henbox makers out( thebigsnood & rutnstrut). IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk