OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to call Toms off a hot hen?

Started by billinsd, April 23, 2011, 06:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billinsd

I found three toms and a hen roosted in a tree this morning.  I set up and the birds landed about 50 yards in the opposite direction and kept walking.   I tried some clucks and had no luck.   Later, I got up and moved and found them across a big meadow.  I tried calling and nothing.  The toms were all strutting.  It seemed the hen was hot.

What is the best way to hunt toms that are following a hot hen?  Try and call the hen over?  And if so, how would you call the hen?
Thanks
Bill

longspur

If it was a hot hen she would breed then leave the toms to lay an egg in which case you could call the toms up. Probably an old stale hen past laying age. a turkey hunters worst nightmare. Might try some deks. I've never had any luck but I'm not a real turkey killer. I just hunt'em. If it were me I would try to figure which way they would go and wait on them without calling. Like deer hunting except a deer is blind compaired to a turkey.

WyoHunter

If they wouldn't respond to some aggressive cutting I'd try to get ahead of them and get the hen's attention with some yelping and lost calling. If you can get the hen's attention she'll drag those gobblers with her. Otherwise position yourself for an ambush!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

billinsd

coyotetrpr

Set up a strutting jake with a couple hens. Their hen may come to him or may not. But, those 3 gobblers will more than likley come in to whip him.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 23, 2011, 09:54:27 PM
If they wouldn't respond to some aggressive cutting I'd try to get ahead of them and get the hen's attention with some yelping and lost calling. If you can get the hen's attention she'll drag those gobblers with her. Otherwise position yourself for an ambush!
Pick a hen fight. He will follow her.

bowhunter84

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 23, 2011, 09:54:27 PM
:agreed:

doepee

hobbes

Call to the hen and hope she comes in because they are sure to follow.  As far as the term "hot hen", any hen that a tom sees is going to be a distraction.  I've never heard of the term "hot hen" which refers to a hen in the same manner as a "hot doe" that is being followed by a buck.