turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

im having the awesfulest time!~

Started by Lon0121, April 22, 2011, 08:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

the gobblers here gobble at day break and then they are tight lipped.  Where i hunt here in southern ky we dont even know what a flat field is,  it is the rolling land of hollers hollows and ridges.  the turkey are roosting about mid way up hillsides and i think they are working thier way up.  question is.....how do you hunt a hollow??  at the bottom of each hollow is a small river from all the rain we have had.  do you think they stay at the bottom of those areas?   should i just pick one spot and call for a long time?.  i think i can only hear about maybe 6 different gobblers in this area each morning.  our hen outnumber them 100 to 1.
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

jakesdad

you might try and find where the hens are headed off the roost and just try and setup there,or between that point and the roost..or maybe find a good strutting area on top of a flat semi open ridge.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Cutt

We have similiar terrain from rolling hills, to very steep hills. My opinion, much more productive setting up on a top and working the birds up to your postion. Can be very tough hunting bottoms, especially if they are narrow, and there is not much foilage out. Gobblers will us the height advantage if open enough to peer into your set from above. It can be done, but all must be spot on with no movement. Whereas on top you have a bit more room for error as they have to crest the top to see your position, and if done right, he's now in gun range.